passed 290

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by dcuk, Jun 21, 2006.

1. dcuk

dcuk Bit Poster

Hi all passes 290 on the weekend (sunday),

I wrote a big report for it, but my PC crashed (bill gates's revenge no doubt).

so to be conscise,

42 questions, 4 sims (sharing, IIS, profiles, permissions), 3.5hours. score 955

With the exceptions of the sims, the exam was pretty much 270 over again, no SUS or terminal server (though some RDP). No RSS (thanks a lot sybex). Plenty of group scope.

The sims were a ba$%^&d, had to reset one 6 times, incredibly hard worded question, v.simple answer. Why oh why do MS feel the need to turn this into an english verbal reasoning test. If someone asked me to configure the permissions the way it was worded in the question, I'd ask them to repeat it in plain english!
    Other than that, do EXACTLY what ms tell you to do, ie, configure read access as that not read and execute (always feels like a game of simon says!)

prep. MS book (very badly written in my opinion), sybex (much better), exam cram (good source of knowledge) testout and about 1 year of admin experience (plus a year of reading , it was due to be the first exam I was going to attempt, thankfully i sat 270 before).

know disaster recovery, ntbackup, groups, AD modes, GPO and the old favourite NTFS and sharing permissions plus all of the ways to do the stuff (noticed that I had to do something twice in one sim to get it to work, check your answers).

Finally had three exam crashes, used vue, it was a hot day and the lady said that the heat was messing up the machines.

good luck all,
    dc

p.s. had a bottle of vrw after (very real wine) and the very real hangover to accompany it!

2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Well done Dcuk, methinks the hangover was from a well deserved drinky. :-)

Thanks for the headsup on your exam, I'm taking my 70-290 this monday, so am scrambling to get everything clear before the day. Luckily ive registered for the Microsoft 2nd shot, so if the worst come to the worst, ive got another 4 weeks of study.

Well done again dcuk. :morebeer

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. dcuk

dcuk Bit Poster

good luck Luddym,

I also used the second shot.

One thing keep your nerve and read the questions thoroughly, remember you've got 3.5 hours for this one (much longer than 270, but the lower number of questions means that you have less room for mistakes, even more so on 291 with 37 questions on average).

I personally used up most of the time to go through the questions twice. Oh and quite a few tricky backup questions, know EXACTLY what system state backs up, some of the questions that I struggled with were the minimum requirements to rebuild x, y or z from a crash. Remember that space on that £20 tape is at a premium in MS world :blink

on 291 at the moment which is a joy to read after 290 (or am I just odd??)

dc

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Simon Say's Well Done! :biggrin

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well done dc, nice score matey. I decided to have a bit of a break from studying (not looked at the 291 at all yet). In my time off I'll do the MCDST instead. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass! :biggrin I had the opposite to you - full of TS questions and SUS! My sims were not hard just like you say badly worded.. infact for one of them i didnt finish it properly because there was on way of understanding it.. i got 805 which is a pass so not bothered...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass man, its gonna be my next exam, I want to get my MCSA since I am only 2 exams away

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA