partitions (extended)

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by leeroy2612, Sep 10, 2007.

1. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

alreet guys,

I want to play around with my hd, and create some partions.
    Why arent the EXTEND-FORMAT-DELETE, tabs highlighted when i right click the hd. is it something to do with permissions because as far as i can tell i am the administrator!....:oops:

Certifications: ecdl 1,2
    WIP: A+, mcse
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on what drive you are examining. If it your one and only drive, and it doesn't have any spare space then you can't do these things!

You can't extend if no spare space.

You can't format the windows partiton because that is tantamount to removing the foundations while the house is still standing.

You can't delete the windows partition for the same reason.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

please excuse my "numptyness" if this is stupid but as far as im aware ive LOADS of free space.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. hbroomhall

Er - from that - no you haven't.

There is a 600MB odd section, which *may* be a recovery partiton. What make is this box?

The main partition is given over completely to NTFS. You don't have any unpartitioned space, which is what you need to have to start messing.

Now you *could* 'shrink' your main partiton, but that option isn't available on XP - you need 3rd party tools for that. I believe shrinking *is* available with Vista, but you need to make sure you have a good backup of important stuff before you do such a thing.

Edit: Looking more carefully - I suspect you have Vista. As I've not used that much I don't know if the 'shrink' option is available accross all editions.

Harry.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Lesson learned: MB is not the same as GB. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

ok cheers. I noticed from your profile that you have done the ECDL. I am currently half way through the level 2 ecdl. i assume that you had more experience prior, but how much of a boost do you think that it will have on my chances of getting an office/ It job, when i get the L2. I have no previous experience in IT, except for what ive taught myself ( as you probably guessed from my last question):ohmy.

7. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Also a point to note.

You cannot extend a partition unless the entire disc is converted to a dynamic disc (or you use a 3rd party tool like partiton magic).

This is why on a server most hdd's are converted to dynamic so that partitions can be extended to multiple physical discs while still presenting a single visible drive.

:)

edit. Not sure on vista as have not tested but all other version this is true

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  8. hbroomhall

I took ECDL because I wanted to discover what it was, not because I needed it. So I can't really answer your question.

I've heard that some big organizations look for ECDL, but I have no personal experience of this.

The question you asked here is *well* beyond ECDL level - it is more an A+ (CompTIA) level question.

Harry.

9. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

oh i no, i am studying for A+ at the mo aswell. the only reason im diong the ecdl is to get myself into an office job before i pass the A+ and the only reason i havnt finished the ecdl yet is because of the bloomin' summer hols!!, could have finished it about a month ago if it wasnt for them.

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Harry is correct.

You need unpartitioned space but you need more space anyhow, if you have the Mike Meyers all in on exam guide have a read of the Implementing Hard drives chapter.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?