Partition Merging Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Does anyone know of any reliable (free) partition merging software?

I recently obtained a new work lappy, but Acer have split the 160GB HDD into two partitions. I want to merge the two partitions into one, without having to reinstall everything (you have no idea how long it took me to get everything installed and running on this thing).

Alternatively, anyone willing to lend me their key for partition magic? :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

parted magic or gparted usually do the trick

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Fergal1982

cheers. ill take a look at those once i get the opportunity to do a backup first (no point in taking chances).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Are those partitions equal sizes? If one is a lot smaller it may be the recovery partition, and you really don't want to lose that!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Fergal1982

They are both about 71GB. To be honest though, I wouldnt care if it was a recovery partition. If things go tits up, ill just wipe and reinstall from scratch. I never use the recovery stuff shipped with lappys.

Edit: Theres actually a hidden 5GB partition called PQService - thats apparently used for the recovery. looks like they've just created a second partition (called ACERDATA), to presumeably keep your personal data in.

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Be careful over removing recovery partitions - sometimes without that even the recovery disks won't work! :ohmy

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Fergal1982

I dont use the recovery disks. I normally end up uninstalling half of the shite they put onto it anyway, I just use a clean XP install disc, and fire it up from that. that way i can put on exactly what i need. Sure its more hassle, since i need to source and install all the drivers, but its better in the long run.

That said, I dont intend to remove the 5GB recovery partition until such time as I need the extra 5GB.