Partition magis stuff

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Nov 9, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK long story short, had a 'friend' who claimed to know what he was doing on partition magic, he obviously didnt and has left me with an expensive brick. Oh and a note saying he had to go somewhere 'urgent' and that hed 'ring' me later.

Basically hes hiding as im sure he knows im going to rip his head off because hes messed my lappy up .

I wanted to put linux on as well as keeping vista on so i had a dual boot set up. but every time i tried to put klinux on it said i didnt have the space when i knew i had, but it was in another partition, but still would not let me put linux on.

Anyway he claimed to be able to do this with PM but has left me with a screen that says

boot mgr is missing
    press ctrl alt and delete to restart

now i tried to boot from a live cd but it goes straight to that screen all the time

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

cave his head in with said laptop?

Did you take a backup before messing around with the partitions?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. zxspectrum

Luckily enough i made a complete backup yesterday on an external HD just in case so i do have all my stuff up to date and saved so to speak. But im not sure how to go about putting all that back on unless i couls get hold of a vista disk i suppose??

And yeah the caving his head in sounds good to me

Ed

4. zxspectrum

Hey Fergal, are you thinking that i could boot from the external HD then restore the backuip i made yesterday. I can get it so that i boot from the ext HD butb i still get the screen and also the back up stuff isnt the only info i have on there etc, i also have tune and apps etc .

Ed

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You should be able to boot from a live CD if you change the boot order to CD first.

The other problem is that Vista uses a new boot system, so if the copy of Partition Magic is old then it won't recognize the boot files. This may the be problem with klinux as well.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. zxspectrum

From what i was told he says that it was partition magic 8.0

Ed

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I was thinking more along the lines of a Drastic recovery. Try what you can to get it running again (not really my area), but at least you can blitz and rebuild should you need to.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. hbroomhall

Having looked this up - I now see that PM is not compatable with Vista.

Harry.

9. zxspectrum

So is there anyway i could stop it booting to that screen. Im thinking that i could arrange the files on the external HD so that it goes to the back up stuff (somehow) and then i could restore the lot. Or is there anywhere on the lappy that i can press som sort of reset button???? thinki im clutching at straws here

Ed

10. hbroomhall

To boot a CD you change the boot order.

What I would do at this point is restore using the restore disks then copy your personal files back from the backup you mentioned.

Harry.

11. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

12. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

What make is the laptop?

Does it have a recovery partition on it to restore the o/s?

You could restore the o/s and then apply your backup.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  13. zxspectrum

I couldnt see a recovery partition to do what you suggested stoney, and as i was panicking as i thought the laptop was goosed i stuck fedora 7 on which is one thing i wanted to do anyway and ive spoken to another mate, a reliable one this time who has a vista disc, which i am then going to put on my lappy and there i have a dual boot set up

Cant rermembe3r but someone told me that its best to have a linux on fist then the vista .

Harry do you have a link for the info on the boot system your refering to on vista i wouldnt mind reeading up on that.

Cheers
    ED

14. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

We use Paragon 8.5 at work for partitioning hard drives with Vista installed on them.

Not had any problems with it yet, but we always clone the disk first using Acronis just in case of any unforeseen events.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  15. hbroomhall

On an Acer usualy Alt-F10 gets you to the recovery system, but I suspect that putting Linux on the machine has blown all that away.

I can't vouch for this company, but Vistabootpro looks like being useful.

Another useful page is here.

And look for bcdedit on the Microsoft site.

Harry.