Panorama

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by aw69, May 21, 2007.

1. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

Anybody watch Panorama tonight about WiFi - A Warning Signal
    if you missed it here is the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/panorama

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Oh great, I can expect a few calls from ‘concerned users’ tomorrow at work. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yeah - bit of a concern !! My impression (tho not 100% focussed on the prog) is that it's really the "wider area" aka campus / public area hotspots that are the prob. I missed their take on home wifi - ie, wireless router and NIC ?

Bloody hell - almost like a move to stop communication .... phones kill you, now your laptop will too ..... :hhhmmm

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

You didn't miss their take on home wifi because there wasn't anything mentioned on it

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yay! :biggrin

Only a matter of time though, might need to start laying some CAT5 in the flat now to keep the wife happy. :biggrin

Edit: She thinks is all BS what was on the TV, ack, thought I was gonna be able to speed up the home network there! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Fair does - glad to be wrong !! :biggrin

I only mentioned it as a few times I looked up at the TV and there were shots of an evil home wireless router beaming out streams of badness to rot me and my family's minds (well, little red circles emanating from the router's antenna !)

As before, I didn't see the prog in detail, but it appeared the only real evidence was (what was the word they used) an "electro-sensitive" who's brain melted at the opening of a fridge ... She had a house decorated in tin foil, and kept getting all sorts of pain ....... maybe she's allergic to tin ? The experts said their test showed she could tell two thirds of the time a nearby mobile phone mast was turned on (in testing), yet other participants' results were "as yet un-reported" :hhhmmm

Sorry (not really) - excuse my cynicism .... story for story's sake ? If I'm right, then shame on the BBC.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

personally I think its scare mongering just like the bloody ozone layer crap.

Has anyone actually ever thought that climate change is a natural phenomonon, yes we may be speeding it up but, stopping driving a car that does 3 miles to the gallon or going on aeroplanes and recycling your shi* isnt going to stop it.

So my addage is WIFI may cause a bit of harm in young kids (like mobile/cellphones) but as it progresses it will become safer, its not gonna do much to anyone over the age of 12 because there is that much crap in air anyway the odd radio signal etc isnt gonna do anything

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

That's really a surprisingly negative attitude, but your opinion all the same. No - none of us are single-handedly going to cure the ozone problem, by recycling, composting, turning off lights more often, not leaving TV's on standy, buying smaller-engined cars, sharing those cars with others going the same way, going fewer foreign holidays, etc etc ..... but if we collectively make the effort, (and I mean nationally and even globally) we will begin to see a sea-change in conscious thought about the environment.

We won't see the difference, maybe even our children won't either, but slowly .... just slowly .... it will hopefully improve, and we will work for the environment, not against it. There is a future, and it doesn't happen by turning off one light bulb, but to (mis)quote someone better known and far wiser than me (please post who):

"a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step"

Believe :thumbleft

9. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

Created by Lao-tzu
    That which is at rest is easy to grasp.
    : That which has not yet come about is easy to plan for.
    : That which is fragile is easily broken.
    : That which is minute is easily scattered.
    : Handle things before they arise.
    : Manage affairs before they are in a mess.

: A thick tree grows from a tiny seed.
    : A tall building arises from a mound of earth.
    : A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.
    : Contriving, you are defeated;
    : Grasping, you lose.

apparantly Lao-Tzu means "old man" and the book is the collective wisdom of more than one sage. I just found this on the internet not something stuck in my head

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

As some of you may know I work in a public school and we have been rolling out wireless all over the school, esp in the boarding houses. There is a forum just for public school IT bods and this has been a hot topic of posting today. They have basically rubbished the whole idea of it being dangerous backing their thoughts up with technical data. I have attached a paper written by our head of IT (I have removed names for the sake of privacy), but basically there is more radiation given to you when you use your mobile phone, from the sun or from your TV when your watching it than from your 802.11xxx access point.

Attached Files:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...if we humans are even affecting the environment one bit.

Not saying we should say "screw the environment!" and do what we want... I'm just saying that we shouldn't make wholesale changes when human activity likely contributes very little (if anything) to the problem.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Totally agree, if we make too many changes it would a disaster to our whole way of life

I think if the climate problem is going to be as bad as they say then we must adapt to it NOT change our whole way of life.

Wireless signals are not gonna make us mental just as ACDC doesnt make us worship the devil:twisted:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?