Panic Time

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by paparika, Feb 9, 2006.

1. paparika

paparika Bit Poster

I have an interview tomorrow, but only have an hour to print or burn to cd info........

The employer is very happy with my knowledge of IT, but has concerns over my knowledge of Louts notes,

last time i used it was 2 years ago, i can set up a user and create their profiles to suit.. basic stuff i guess.

Experience of providing Lotus Notes Administration in versions 5, 6 or 7

what was the latest 2 years ago i cant remember, but i do know that you need to have domino admin on your machine to use it...

any helpful advice out there would be greatfully received.

the reason i have an hour, is i'm going into hospital overnight for a sleep study, so it would give me something to read whilst waiting for sleep

Certifications: NCFE, BTEC Diloma pc servicing & network
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I don't know anything about Lotus notes myself, but you coult try this link.

8)

3. paparika

paparika Bit Poster

not that useful for me, but thank you for helping, most of that need you to be a memeber of the web site.

Certifications: NCFE, BTEC Diloma pc servicing & network
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Maybe a bit late mate, but hope you can read this and I hope it helps. I have gained a ton of experience with Lotus Notes (5 and 6.5, hacked to pieces, but I assume it is still relevant) in my last job.

Try to give a quick run down here from what I know. I know allot more, but this should nail the basics

LN only needs to be re-installed occasionally - most of the time you can rename/replace a file - and it will rebuild whatever is causing the problem. Most of the time it can be fixed in a few minutes. see below

Always delete cache.ndk - this file can cause numerous issues, and you would be suprised what deleting it will do. DO NOt however, deleted cache.dsk - it will not rebuild this file

names.nsf stores the personall address book. any issues with that, delete and replace.

Bookmark.nsf - stores bookmarks (obviously) again personall address book. any issues with that, delete and replace.

desktop.dsk - any issue with the desktop - delete, and it will be rebuilt. you will have to re-map any Database/apps or resources (desktop is where all shorcuts to LN resources re located)

%username%.id - will be the file that controls access to the clients mailfile. If it goes wrong, will have to be restored from back-up/ replaced. May even need a digest clear, depending on the system implemented/time elapsed. you will need access to the domino server to replace this

%usermane%.nsf - CLient's mailfile - can be stored on server and locally. any issues with local version - just remap to server and replicate. If server side copy is fudged, may need restoring

Remeber location documents aswell -
    "office" is using the server side copy of the mailfile (when they are in the office lol), and they will need to replicate to update the local version. replicatiopn can be set to go automaticly on a schedule in the location docs setting. this mainly applies to laptop/travelling users

"network connected" - used when a client is homebased over VPN, or at a remote loacation with a slow network link. Uses the locally stored mailfile, but replicates to recieve new mail - keeps the overhead down.

"island" - when the client is not connected to the network in any way. user will only have access to DB's stored locally, and the local mailfile - which is only as new as the last replication.

I could go all night, but hope the above is of some use. any more question's, please post and I will do my best to assist

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada