Page File question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Dec 4, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have today installed 2GB RAM in my PC bringing the total RAM to 3072MB or 3GB, windows recognizes the full 3GB.

When looking at the page file settings it shows that 3072MB is the maximum size but 4605MB is recommended.

Why is this?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

See here.

As for the maxium size of a page file:

If you require more Pagefile space, create multiple logical drives, preferably on different disks, and use the entire logical drive as a pagefile. Or add another disk and set the page file size on that.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

And see here for MS KB answer.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If you can, put the pagefile on a different physical drive than the main system drive, and also set it to a fixed size rather than variable. Should speed the system up a bit.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. greenbrucelee

Thanks guys.

I dont actually need to speed the system up, I just wanted to know why it says 4605 is recommended but 3072 is the maximum.

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

its proberbly because you have an old pagefile value manually configured. the pagefile should be 1.5-3x the amount of system memory. or you can just set it to manage the pagefile itself.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Pagefiles? got rid of mine over a year ago hehe

Titan quest tells me i need one so i have to re enable it whenever i play, poor code if u ask me!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. greenbrucelee

I think I will set it to manage the page files it self, I mean I have plenty of RAM and disk space so I doubt a page file should be used much anyway.

Although I thought something was up when I got a BSOD whilst playing BIOSHOCK but silly me I had put the 1GB dimm I had in a slot it wasn't compatible with as I had put the two new ones in the first two slots (the third slot is only compatible with double sided dimms, the 1GB dimm is only single sided) so I had to put in the last slot.