packet tracer labs?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by macca1980, Aug 18, 2010.

1. macca1980

macca1980 New Member

any one know where to download .pka packet tracer labs? Do you have to buy them?
    I have just done ccna discovery 1 & want to start studying ccna 2 soon but would like to have some basic router configurations under my belt before hand.

Thanks

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The only place you can legally get them from is Cisco, via your instructor.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Have a look at craigie's posts here : http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

I think he posted some of his own lab files which you may find helpful :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. macca1980

macca1980 New Member

Sorry wasnt sure if you had to purchase, I got packet tracer from cisco site when at college, does anyone have any beginner tutorial I can follow (not the .pka) . Just want to start configuring routers, learn from the beginning. (Newbie):D

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

read my post above !

6. macca1980

macca1980 New Member

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

see those pinned threads by Craigie? they are in there.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

:lolbang

9. MadMat

MadMat Bit Poster

Not quite, some of the Cisco press books come with them on DVD

I have all 4 of the CCNA Exploration Companion Guide's - all 4 came with a CD containing PT and all the .PKA files needed for that semester.

Mat

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA
  10. BosonMichael

Not Packet Tracer labs, they don't. They might have something else entirely, but not Packet Tracer.

Those aren't Cisco Press books, mate... that's Cisco Official Curriculum... which you can get only through a training center.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Er..... without sounding like an A** The only way i learnt to configure routers and switches initially was through packet tracer while studying. YOU HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN TO LEARN! thats why its called self study! :-)

When i was doing the ICND1 i worked my way up using packet tracer, so started with setting up switches and then moved on to routers etc. Once you get used to the software it is very simple.

I dont know if i am allowed to post these on here but here are some i made during my study. They will be completely out of date and played around with and possibly broken :D but will give you an idea what you can do with it and you can have a look a the configs and try to figure out what i was trying to achieve.

There are several in there labelled "ICNDx" which are configs created using what i learnt from the book and by using CBT Nuggetts which was a fantastic help. Once i created one network for a technology, say EIGRP i then created a another completly different network to get me used to the configuration!

Hope this helps
    Jon

Attached Files:

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  12. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

You can actually purchase the companion lab guides from a lot of places including Amazon, they contain a copy of packet tracer and the packet tracer labs. They can be used independently but really you should be using them in conjunction with the Academy curriculum to get the best from them, hence the clue in the title "Companion Lab Guide"

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  13. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  14. BosonMichael

That's odd - Cisco's had those things restricted to sale through instructors for as long as I can remember. :blink

Well, in any case, there's the answer as to where to get labs! :D

15. MadMat

MadMat Bit Poster

I have the 4 Companion books for the Exploration version of CCNA through the Cisco Academy, top four on this link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...books&field-keywords=CCNA+Exploration&x=0&y=0

Although they call them companion guides, the text seems identical word for word with the online material via the Cisco Academy. Obviously the multimedia bits are missing, but all the text, tables and static diagrams are in the books.

Mat

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA