Packet Tracer DHCP

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by nothingmater, Sep 2, 2009.

1. nothingmater

nothingmater Bit Poster

I have a Packet Tracer im working on.
    it consist of a router conecting into 4 switches. Each switch hodls up to 4 computers (give or take one).
    I have set up DHCP on a sever, one for each segment. Problem is i dont know how to get it working. I have the ip address and amount allowed set including sebnet, but thee DHCP request always fails.
    i need help

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Have you configured IP addresses on each interface?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kind of router mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Packet Tracer is simulation software from Cisco Network Academy.

You will need to configure the Router to assign DHCP Leases.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

doh!

Not possible to forward DHCP broadcasts onto the DHCP server then?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Yeah, it would be an ACL for a DHCP Relay Agent

I always use static IP's in my lab as the router wouldn't be the DHCP server, it would be a Windows Server or something similar.

Not got round to ACL's yet using the IOS, but sure it's going to be pretty straight forward.

Oh and for the OP, just use static IP's until you get to ACL's.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. nothingmater

nothingmater Bit Poster

I think its one of the PT routers. Every thing is one of the PT type.
    At the top i have a router going Fiber optic to to 4 switches witch connects to a DHCP sever and 5 computers each.

Routers and all the severs have the ips, And the DHCP is turned on, When you click the envelope in the lover right and click to random computers, you get a message saying this is not a working port. Now unless there is something i need to do in order to tell the computer to go to that sever to get the ip address, witch i have been told might be the problem and they were not sure, or i have messed up on something with the DHCP severs Witch i highly doubt.
    Another thing is i plan on adding at least 50 or so computers to test how it all works, so static is out of the question. I have done 150 computers 20 severs and 20 printers with all static ip address, and I'm not doing it again.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

got any diagrams available?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. nothingmater

nothingmater Bit Poster

ok the screen was not big but this is most of the network
    on the right side i have another sever and 3 more nodes.
    The top is a router and 2 switches
    the right is one computer as well as the bottom

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  10. nothingmater

nothingmater Bit Poster

I have gotten the awnseWhen you go into the DHCP on a server and set up a new pool, change the defult gateway on BOTH pools that are there, if this is not done, as well as the starting ip address, it will, not work, sorry for wasting your time

If you have packet Tracer 5.2
    the saved file is attached
    that is where i was stuck

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009