Problem Packerd Bell shutting down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Johnd76, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi folks, not been on for a while...

anyway a friend gave me his Packard Bell tower pc to have a look at...the problem is that it shuts down automaticly after a minute or so, sometimes it will get to the start screen...sometimes it wont.

I have opened it up to check the fans are working (they are). I was thinking the power supply maybe faulty but havent got another to try it with and the fan in the power supply is turning when the computer is switched on.

I noticed on 2 occasions that the computer let me get to the start screen so typed in the password and it went to a blue screen then shuts down, its that quick that i cant read what it says on the blue screen.

Could a faulty HDD shut it down?

Im at a loss!!! any help would be much appreciated

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

My guess would be that the CPU is overheating... try to clean the dust and also see if the thermal paste or thermal pad is worn down. Other things you could do is run memory test using memtest86 and hard drive diagnostics tools. I am assuming that the power supply fans are spinning? if so then I doubt its the PSU, that is of course unless more hardware was added and the PSU is not that powerful then you could experience issues, but those issues would be most like evident during POST.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the reply...

I tried a memory diagnostic test but it shut down during the test.

Im thinking the CPU but to be honest I'm not that confident in fixing that, specialy when its not my computer...suppose i will just give my mate my opinion and see what he want to do.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

After the PC shuts down and you start it back up do you get an error message something like "Unexpected Shutdown"?

I would say it could be the PSU as I wouldnt expect the CPU to overheat after being on for a minute even with poor air flow.

Have you tried booting in safe mode?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If you want to see what the bluescreen error is, you can check the event log under system, it should say what the message is. Also you can stop the PC from rebooting by Right Clicking on “My Computer” and go to “Properties”. Then go to the “Advanced” tab and under the headline “Startup and Recovery”, press the “Settings” button, untick the “Automatically Restart” box and press Ok

- - - Updated - - -

I've had issues with CPU's overheating in the past even during POST, literally. They were of course older CPU's so they generated a lot of heat and poor cooling like warn down thermal pads and full of dust fans...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  6. Sparky

Yeah, it does happen with the older kit. Hopefully the BSOD will give more info. :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Watch it ends up being like a driver or something :tongue

8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

It does say "unexpected shutdown"...also when i start in safe mode after a minute or so it will shut down again.

9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I would go with both suggestions here and say CPU overheating or PSU. I would rule out CPU first. Does the BIOS give a temperature reading?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  10. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I havent seen any temperature reading in the BIOS, to be honest i dont get much time to look before it shuts down

11. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

So it shuts down even if not trying to load window? i.e whilst inside the BIOS set up page? This is where any temp readings would be.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Invest in a PSU tester (LCD Power Supply Tester : Power Supply Testers : Maplin Electronics) as it will save you time in the future.

I am inclined to go with PSU or CPU, if I were you I would clean the TIM (Thermal Interface Material) and apply a fresh lot onto the CPU (usually a small pea sized dollop will do but ymmv).

I would also look at reseating any DIMMS and Cards just in case of thermal creep (where after time the cards have expanded and contracted so much that they don't align up cleanly).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  13. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Cheers guys, I will pass on what you have suggested and see what he wants me to do...

14. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hey folks,

An update on the problem, well the problem was the PSU, changed that and the computer is running fine.

Thanks for all your help with issue.

15. Sparky

Nice one mate :)

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good thing I didn't bet you :)

Johnd76 and danielno8 like this.
  17. Sparky

haha! Next time! :)

18. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

right lads,

problem AGAIN!! my mate ended up just giving me the tower computer, so am thinking "nice one, I can mess about with it"...well am sure there is a loose connection somewhere, when the tower lays on its side it starts up no problem, when I try to stand it up right it goes off! so when I try to start it when its sitting up it wont come on, soon as I lay it down again it starts no problem.

I made a wee video of it doing it but don't really know the best way to show it...

19. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

does it turn on at all when it is on its side?

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, i meant does it turn on at all when stood upright?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  20. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

It will stutter but then go off