Packard Bell Butterlfly_S_EC-010UK

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by albertc30, Jan 3, 2010.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.
    I have spent all morning, since 08:00 till now, 09:34, googling away to find out how to bring the recovery process from booting, but with no success.
    I have done it once and never written it down, now I need it again and I can't find it.
    F11, alt+tab, alt+f11, none work.
    I am still under the felling that the combination of keys is 3 keys but don't know which are.
    Anybody has a laptop just like this one that could please let me know what's the right combination of keys please?
    Well appreciated.
    Thanks to you all.
    Happy new year.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Do you mean for the OS or how to get into BIOS?

Pressing F8 as the machine is booting (XP) usually brings up a boot menu to choose from if you want to get into safe mode.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. albertc30

Hello mate.
    What I mean is the combination of keys to get the system recovery from the recovery partition on the HDD itself.
    I have done it once but forgot to writte down the combination. I am pretty certain that it was 3 keys but don't know which ones now and can't get anywhere on google about it.
    Can't even remember how did I got the information the first time around.
    Cheers

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. albertc30

Tried that. I also have my laptop registered with Packard Bell and nothing, not even a manual and I can't find mine.
    What a nightmare.
    All I want to do is get it back to s**** vista as my windows 7 keeps playing about with the wireless card.
    The wireless card can pick up WAP that are down the road from where I live but it won't pick up my own WAP which is sitting about 2 meters away.
    I first I thought that the WAP might be faulty but then I had another 2 and it don't pick these ones either, all in different channels.
    My own PC, not the laptop, connects to the same WAP wirelessly with no problems whatsoever.
    I'll keep on looking.

6. Sparky

Is the laptop supported on Windows 7? I was going to upgrade my own laptop but there was no drivers available so I didnt bother.

For your WAP what encryption is it running and can you connect any other devices to it?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Ah ok, usually its F11 but you might need to go into the BIOS and put the setting for seeing that screen to a higher value as it might be the case of it passing too quick for you to press F11 and for it to register.

Can you actually see your wireless network from the Win 7 laptop?
    Have you tried to get a basic connection first without encryption?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Is this any use to you.

It says that you must enable the recover partition first in the BIOS and then press F11 during boot.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Too right! Before scrubbing the entire install, would it be worth troubleshooting the WAP? Can a device that has not connected to it before connect to it? May be worth checking to see if it is set to boradcast its SSID for starters.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  10. albertc30

Hello mate.
    The laptop does support windows 7.
    I do see the WAP on other computers and connect to it through other computers.
    I am using WEP and I have tried no security as well.
    It works well on the laptop till there's another windows update that totally messes the wireless up.
    Like for now, the wife just switch it on and was like, hummmmm, it's online with no cable? Well, the wireless is now back on working and I also found out a newer driver, just release (12.4.1.11) from Intel which is the wireless manufacturer, instead of using one from Microsoft.
    The thing I have noticed is that the windows updates are changing device drivers as well from Microsoft which are normally rubbish.
    I have seen an option on windows 7 not to accept device drivers on the updates or something along these lines anyways.
    So far with this update seems to be holding on quite fine. Let's see how long will it last.
    I have also e-mailed PB to get an answer from them as to how to get the recovery system to work.
    On the BIOS there's only an option which is enable (D2D) recovery but nothing shows on booting.
    I am pretty much sure that it is a combination of 3 keys as I did once already but forgot to write it down and can't get anywhere online about it.
    Will let you all know what key combination it is when that information gets to me.
    Thanks everybody.

11. albertc30

No mate. This one's a diferent model. It show's nothing like that on the BIOS.
    Thanks for your help anyways.

12. albertc30

Like I have said before, it has been connected before but now and after windows updates, it can no longer see the WAP to which was connected to but amazingly sees WAPs that are down the street, lol...
    And the WAP is broadcasting it's SSID.
    Thnaks for the help.

13. Sparky

Firmware update for the WAP perhaps?

14. albertc30

It would be nice actually. But quite hard to come accross one now.
    My WAP is a Belkin Router which is being used as just a WAP.
    The firmaware is 9.01.10 which is the latest one and the model is f5d7230-4.
    This problem seems to be sorted now whit this new update.
    Thanks for your help and everybodys.
    Well appreciated.

15. albertc30

Hello again everybody.
    Same old problem sticking again.
    While I have a friends laptop (Toshiba Equium) with an Intel wireless card here at home with me, and connected to my WAP, my d*** laptop still keeps doing it.
    It sees the WAP, then it can't connect, then it won't see it, sometimes it connects, what a mess with this d**** wireless card.
    I think is reasonable to say that the WAP is ok, giving the fact that I do have other PCs connecting to it.

About the system recovery, I have found the manual and the keys combination is ALT+F10 but sadly as I have installed a brand new installation (windows 7) the MBR has been overwritten with this new installation. It would have still work if I had done a OS upgrade, not an installation from scratch.

Anybody know if it is possible to rewrite the MBR so that I can access the recover software on the hidden partition? If it is possible, how do one go about doing it?
    When I got the laptop, I tried to do the recovery CD's but the DVD-WR is external and kept going wrong so I never done them.

Other than that, if I can't recover it to the default factory settings with Vista on, I'll just keep windows 7 and use an Ethernet cable for the meantime until there's some better drivers for it I suppose.

Cheers everybody.