Own Business?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by DJDave, May 9, 2006.

1. DJDave

DJDave Bit Poster

Hiya,

Am out of work at the moment and doing the CIW Course with Skills Train. I already know the basics of web design etc, but A friend on mine said how about looking into starting off your own web design business with some help from Princes Trust. Just wondered what anyone here thought about setting up your own business in web design?

Thanks

WIP: CIW
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Personaly I think that its a market that is already flooded, and unless you've got something special then you will struggle aginst the more experienced people out there.

8)

3. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster

I would agree with Simon in that it can be a difficult market to get into althought by no means impossible.

If you are thinking about starting up on your own you are going to have to have a portfolio of work you can show perspective clients to show them the type and quality of work you can do.
    The problem being how do you get a portfolio together when you can't get any clients because you don't have a portfolio. One option is to do some free (or heavily discounted) websites, maybe for local charities, churches etc. If you go the free option you could still charge them for hosting (making sure they are paying more for the hosting that its costing you ) and so cover some of your costs that way.

If you do decide to go ahead, its probably best to concentrate on a niche market e.g. local charities, that way you get to learn what type of things charities wants, and hopefully get better at it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

4. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

lol.....it's a difficult market if you want to set it up as your own business.

BUT.... if you are thinking of working in this field I think you are more likely to get a job for what you are qualified in.

e.g. When I do a search for IT Jobs... over 60-70% are jobs that are related to web development and/or programming.

Seems like greater demand in web programming than support these days in general...

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...