Problem Override Outlook GPO Settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Our work, in their infinite "wisdom" have decided to enable two of the singularly most annoying settings in Outlook:

1) Always check spelling before sending
    2) Empty the deleted items folder upon exiting (would be less annoying if it didnt prompt you every time)

Can anyone point me in the direction of the reg keys to override these settings? I tried the below keys but it doesnt seem to be working:

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Office

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

If the Outlook changes are done via group policy and are enforced, then you'll be at a loss.

Personally, I'd complain to IT and ask them to change the policy.

Although... (not that I'm condoning this) you could use Process Monitor (download it here) to see the changes made to the registry via group policy, which will include registry keys.

You'll need to be a local admin to remove them though.

Qs

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Fergal1982

I am a local admin, so thats fine. I already override another GPO policy that stops me from moving my start menu items around. Another annoying and utterly useless setting. I basically dropped it into a batch file and run it in my startup script, that seems to sort the problem.

Cheers for the Process Monitor link. Will look at that.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Qs

No probs.

Just remember that dependant upon how the domain's group policy refresh interval is set, you may need to redo the local changes (including your start menu items 'fix').

To change that through regedit you need the following key:-

HKEY_ LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon\GPExtensions {827D319E-6EAC-11D2-A4EA- 00C04F79F83A}\MaxNoGPOListChangesInterval

It's set in minutes. Default is 960 / 16 hours.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Email your IT department and ask for them to be removed. I can understand the deleted items one but the spell check for every email is too much.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Fergal1982

Did that. The (American) team (one of the counterparts to my team) "decided" that thats what they wanted. For every email to be checked in order to prevent misspelled emails from being issued externally (note this isnt a business decision, its an IT decision - by a team that frankly dont know their arse from their elbow).

The response was basically, "tough - we'll review it if enough people complain globally". Since most people have spell checker on by default, and are unlikely to know how to turn it off, I find the odds of that happening rather low. I just dont understand the incessant need to piss the few people who have made the conscious choice to turn it off.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Still the chance of a spelling mistake with the spell checker on, the user may pick the wrong word or whatever when running the spell check as they are so pi55ed off with the spell checker popping up for every single email.

I’m surprised it’s an IT decision as well, should they not be fixing\maintaining systems rather than configuring BS GPOs. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Fergal1982

Well, its either that or charging 80 grand for a piece of work my team could do for about 5-10. Including 41 days for "Database Development"!!! I could knock the damn thing together in about 3.

9. Fergal1982

Question: How do I use ProcMon to see whats being set by the GPO's at startup?

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Did the American team also set it to English US as the default language for the spellchecker as well? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. Fergal1982

wouldnt put it past them.

I'm all for GPO policies, but when they are as ridiculous as this, i find ways around it.

12. Qs

Don't.

Remove all views bar Registry Activity.

Apply appropriate filters (e.g. Path CONTAINS "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office")

Once you find the GPO registry entry right click it and choose jump to - this will open up regedit where you can disable the relevant entry.

Else, if you know the key that's being changed just do search for it, then right click it, jump to and disable.

Hope that helps mate.

Qs

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009