Overqualified!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by disarm, Apr 16, 2008.

1. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I've just found out that I was unsuccessful with a recent application made for 1st line helpdesk support role, as "my skills were too technical", and as such I'm "overqualified"! They just wanted someone to answer the calls apparently..

It was through a recruitment agency so it's inevitable that some bs would be involved, so who knows..

I shall keep plugging away, lots more applications in the pipeline.

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I always say there is no such thing as overqualified
    only under utilized!

sounds like you wouldn't of been challenged there, a situation that starts bad and only gets worse! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I've had that before. I went for a job for a Japanese print agency as a project manager. I got declined as my 'skill base was too technical for the role' and I am 99% sure it was because I had the fact I was studying the A+ Hardware on my CV as the guy kept questioning it in the interview.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  4. Crito

Crito Banned

Translation: you'll quit as soon as something better comes along.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  5. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

It was only for an initial 3-month contract too!

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... Ryan and Crito are spot-on accurate. They probably figured out that you wouldn't like it much. And you DO have aspirations of something greater, I'm sure! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I certainly do.

It could well be a blessing in disguise, as if I would have started the job this week then I wouldn't have been able to attend the interview for a much better position I have lined up for tomorrow!

8. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Preach it, brutha!

Here I am, the steward of lint removal from a sole navel: my own. With my qualifications I could be remotely managing the lint of hundreds, nay, THOUSANDS of navels. Does management recognize my talent? My overabundance of signed pieces of paper? My dedication to advanced lint shepherding and removal? NO!

Truly, I feel your pain.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs