Overqualified already :-(

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by soundian, Oct 27, 2009.

1. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I just got an email telling me my application for a P/T job in an internet cafe was unsuccessful because I was overqualified and they wouldn't feel comfortable giving me such a low wage.
    Pah!
    Anyway, just a little heads up to all the newbs going for MCSE/CCNA etc. Overqualification can seriously f*** up your chances of getting a job.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I know what you mean, I've encountered the same problem.

It sucks really - and it's a load of nonsense.

If someone with an MCSE and the necessary background applies for a minimum wage job, why the hell should the employer feel 'uncomfortable' about it? They should be laughing their socks off.

The problem might be that they are worried that you'll rip their tin pot setup to shreds, or more likely that you're only applying for the job because you're desperate and will move on to something better as soon as it comes along.

But then, that's how things are at the moment.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

To be honest although it may not look like it, I'm trying to get as few certs as I can. Just the main ones I need for my role. If I do end up getting more than I planned I'll probably omit these when applying for certain jobs. Certs without the experience aren't worth the paper they are printed on IMHO and I've got much more respect for those that can do the job over someone who's got every cert going. Thats generalising obviously because the likes of BosonMike gain them as a result of their role so I don't mean everyone, more the IT Support community. Just my opinion for what its worth, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed! But you don't have the MCSE or the CCNA, do you?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

I'm starting a new job on Monday.

At interview, the IT manager didn't know what CompTIA was, let alone what my certs were.

The MCSE was called "MSE", he'd sort of heard of Microsoft certs.

I played the card that I wanted to better myself by self study and to gain MCSE status.

That nearly lost me the job, because it was felt that if I were pursuing that route I wouldn't stick around (which is what they want).

Horses for courses maybe?

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Did the information say what they were looking for, in terms of experience? Maybe it's a case of pitching at the right level, for the next opportunity that will come along.

Best of luck for next time.

7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have had that with interviews and my interviewer a IT manager refer to a USB port as a USP port :rolleyes:

"Over qualified" is often an excuse that is given by recruiters

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  8. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

So you've got the A+, N+ and half of the MCDST and you're considered over-qualified?

From my understanding, largely through this forum, I thought they were the basic certs one required for such a job?

'They wouldn't feel comfortable giving you such a low wage'? I'd have thought that in these times, they'd be more than happy to pay you a 'low wage'.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  9. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

As jo74 has pointed out the suspicious nature, I wouldn't see it as you being overqualified... especially with only A+, N+ and MCDST. Do you know if they have actually recruited anybody for this role?

It is more than likely that they just don't have the budget anymore for that extra staff they advertised. I can't imagine a net cafe brings in that much.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  10. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Don’t read too much into it mate. I was once turned down for a job because I had no commercial experience however they still interviewed me despite having no IT work experience listed on my CV at the time. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Tieken

Tieken Bit Poster

Well, there is such a thing as tailoring your CV to make it fit the job you are applying for. After all, what makes you to show your over-qualification in your CV?

12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

1) I didn't for one minute think a few entry-level certs would be viewed as overqualified.
    2) The purpose of a CV is to get the interview. The CV did its job.

I think JohnnyMX was probably closest when he mentions blowing the tinpot set up apart* and the fact that I would be out of there like a greased rat up a teflon-coated drainpipe if something better came along.

*The fact that I was told the PCs had to be restarted if they lost one broadband line and had to switch to another router makes me think this might be a reason. I didn't ask if a simple ipconfig /renew would do instead because I'd already figured out I knew more than the interviewer did.

13. Tieken

Tieken Bit Poster

That's a real problem. :( Sometimes one figures it out too late...

Ha, the problem is that they reveal your ambitions which may seem too high to them... it's evident you are not going to stop at this level.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Yeah. I think that's where I failed.
    Anyway, I don't think I would have learned much there so the only real advantage to the job was that it would look better on my CV than pretty much any other P/T job.

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't think it's your certs that caused them to think that you're overqualified. :)

I think it's more this that caused them to think that you're overqualified. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well chances are if the PCs are setup properly you wont even get access to the command line.

But you knew that already didnt you. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs