Overheating graphics card?!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Jan 2, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have a GeForce 6600LE AGP 256MB card. I bought on eBay about 2mths ago. Its been working wonders for me...except recently its been a nightmare. The problem started when I updated to the latest drivers, my machine would just crash midway thru playing either FIFA 06 or Need For Speed Most Wanted. If it crashed during FIFA 06 and I tried to start again it would display a message saying it needs hardware graphics acceleration but this has already been enabled. In order to cure this I have to reboot the machine which can be a pain. So I removed the new drivers and went back to the original ones...still I was getting same problems. Checked the settings to make sure all was kosher, put them to lowest possible setting and I was still getting crashes!! Now bearing in mind on Xmas I did a full reinstall of XP and this has not cured the problem either. I am at my wits end as what to do now...I thought this card would be very good and cope with my games but clearly it cant...I mean it played Doom 3 fairly well and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and not to mention The Matrix Path Of Neo (altho that game had issues with crashing no matter what card you were using!!) but now I need to know if maybe the card is overheating thats causing it to crash my games...I checked this out by seeing how high the temp got when I was playing a game...before I played a game it was at about 53 degress C...when I played the game it would shoot to about 63 degrees C. Now my previous card was a Tyan Tachyon 9600 Pro and that had the ability to increase and decrease the fan speed and I always had the fan speed on high to keep it cool...anyone else ever had the same sort of problem with this kind of card and if so how do I overcome this? the card itself cost me £63 on eBay (bargain I say!!) if I was to buy another one like it I am looking at about £70 and over!!! unless someone out there loves me...thanks people!!

Here is the spec of my machine so you know what I am dealing with:

MSI K7N2 Delta Mobo
    AMD Athlon 3200XP 2.2GHz CPU (overclocked from 2500 1.83GHz)
    1GB PC2700 333 DDR RAM
    120GB HDD (one 80Gb and one 40GB)
    GeForce 6600LE 256MB AGP card
    Samsung DVD/CDRW combo drive
    Enlight (Benq) DVDRW drive
    Win XP SP2
    one 15" TFT LCD VGA monitor
    one 19" TFT LCD DVI monitor

oh and yes both monitors are connected to the card and I only play games on the bigger monitor altho not sure if that maybe the problem as I have set the card to just play games on one monitor to not affect the other but it makes no difference...all help is welcome peeps...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I take it then that no one knows? blimey...I must using a crap card then...I will research more on this....

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Give the Guys a chance to sober up, Noel - it's not even been an hour since you posted your que ..... :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

lol...sorry Jak...just thought people may not know this type of problem...but I get you...haha...

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I see there is a note on the Nvidia website on the problem with Need for Speed!

I suspect that you haven't managed to remove these new drivers completely. It sometimes needs a trawl through the registry and the filesystem to do that.

You say you re-installed windows - how? Restore on top - or complete wipe?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

complete re-wipe Harry my friend..spent the whole of Xmas day doing it...woohoo!! so nVidia are aware of the problem with NFS? well saying that I read the release notes to see what they had fixed in the new drivers and it does mention a problem with NFS but not on the 6600LE card...so I dont know what to do next...I am on another forum and a few people have said to open my side case, downclock my CPU speed, check if any cables are obstructing the fans inside my PC...ok fair do's but a) the cables are tied up, b) the temp of the card is not that high to make it crash and c) opening the side case might not help cos the other cards I used all worked fine with everything I have in the PC right now...but I will try what they have said but any other ideas boys and girls?

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

What happens if you run just one monitor off the card, Noel - do the games still crash ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well this is it Jak I havent tried that yet...I will try that tonite...or when I can...but its an idea to try...should have done this before really...

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

what happens if you bring your CPU back down 400mhz to its intended speed

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am with Phoenix here, if you overclock you can expect crashes.

Also, once you have set the clock speed back to normal and find it is still crashing, you could try taking the cover off the case and pointing a big household fan into it. If it doesn't crash then you know it is an overheating issue.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

calm down girls...it aint the fact I overclocked my CPU cos the other AGP cards all coped fine and my CPU has been overclocked since I built it 2yrs ago...I did what you said Jak by setting it just one monitor...so I tested out both games (my PC had been on for 24hrs by the way) and would u believe it didnt crash? there were no glitches at all...so clearly it doesnt like it when I have both monitors on and playing games on one...so thats it sorted...for now anyway...thanks all people...so no overheating issue (the CPU itself has a big a$$ fan on it) the case has 5 LED fans, the mobo has its own fan and the PSU and of course the AGP card itself...so plenty of cooling in there...