Outsourcing

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Armchair Pimp, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

Morning chaps.. I just want to canvass opinion on being outsourced and whether people had any experience of it..

I currently work for the goverment managing a team of Service Desk Engineers.. it looks increasingly like we're going to be outsourced to Fujitsu..

Part of me thinks it's a good idea as they may actually invest in their technical staff while the other thinks they're run the service as cheap as possible by reducing the scope of it and reducing staff numbers..

So should my glass be half empty or half full?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  2. Armchair Pimp

Crikey! No-one's been outsourced?!

I feel special now..

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've never been outsourced and lost my job because of it, but I've been affected by outsourcing. A company I once worked for decided to outsource work that we were doing, and we would be responsible for reviewing their work and fixing any problems we found. Unfortunately, the work they did was poor, and the reviews and fixes took longer it would have taken to do the actual work ourselves. Net result was an end product that was poorly done with no increase in speed for the cost of our salaries PLUS their salaries.

I ended up leaving because of it. The job became quite stressful... I could no longer deal with cleaning up after their repeated mistakes while immovable deadlines constantly loomed.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

...never been outsourced...
    ...but i do work for an oursoucing company

5. Armchair Pimp

Cool.. any gotcha's I should look out for?