Problem Outlook help needed

Discussion in 'Software' started by tomshawk, May 3, 2012.

1. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Hey everyone, long time no see.

I want to stay and chat and will come back to do so later but, I have an emergency and am hoping some Outlook experts can help me with it.

I've searched the Internet high and low with no luck. I think I actually found the end of the internet and needed an 8in floppy to get in and a punch card to get out, but, none the less.

Here's the scenario

SBS 2003 with 20 clients, mixed Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP Pro SP3
    All machines have Office 2007
    I Migrated them to SBS 2011, Client machines stayed the same.

The Migration went flawlessly, the only issue on 19 of the machines is the fact that they lost there outlook email address history, so when you open a new email and type the address in the to field, the history is gone. Annoyance but they'll survive.

One machine, a Vista machine had a highly customized Outlook with Marco's, Scripts, Rules, Custom Toolbar, ETC!

None of the customizations went over with the migration.

My Migration process is simple enough, export outlook to PST
    Run Windows Files and settings transfer wizard, Backup any data that is not saved to server, stuff on desktop, ETC.

Remove from old Domain.
    Down old Server
    Boot up new server
    Add PC's to new domain
    Run file and settings transfer wizard
    Import PST.

This has been my process for years and always works quite well, except this one machine.

I've found many articles out on the net for copying settings like outcmd.dat to get a toolbar back from an old outlook that is/was using a pop server.
    I tried copying this file just to test and it does not even get her toolbar back.

I'm going to do a system restore from before the migration to see if I can get it back up with the old settings but, in the end, Are their custom setting files I am missing that would hold all these settings that are different from pop/smtp versus exchange. and whether they are different or not, do you guys no the names of them so I can copy them to a USB stick or some such and paste them into the new profile I create.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Mate,
    I've found this, but don't know if it will help or not.

Cheers
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Well, that was quick. LOL

Printing out, I will take this with me and give it a try.
    I know I did the outcmd.dat and it didn't make a difference but...

Maybe they all need to be done at once.

I'll let you know

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dude, why did you create a new domain?

You can migrate with an answer file from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 which can avoid issues like this. For the autocomplete you need to import the .nk2 file which you have probably done already.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

No luck, didn't fix it. :(

Trying to over-write new profile with old one now, last resort that probably wont work, but...

I wish it would have worked, government agency that couldn't be down that long, as well, the old server was dieing, crashing every couple of hours with bad sectors on drive. Had to restore data as it was from their backup

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ahh, I see. I had a similar issue with a SBS 2003 that was on its last legs but I managed to image it and then run it as a VM while I migrated to SBS 2011 – keeping the same domain meant I didn’t need to reconfigure 40 workstations.

Just wondering if you are having problems restoring the profile as you are moving between domains. Have you tried to restore to a local account (just as a test) and if that works then migrate that one to the new domain. Sounds crazy but might be worth a shot.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

The other 19 clients went smooth, no issues at all other than the autocomplete nk2 file which always causes problem with bounce backs so I don't restore it.

It's just this one computer and her 50GB profile that is taking for ever to copy because this machine is so old. No, they wont upgrade it, And I have been informed, fix or loose them as a client. Got to love pressure of the impossible.

Anyway, thanks guys, if this doesn't work, they'll just hire someone else to tell them it aint going to happen.

8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

This. The command to import the nk2 file is outlook /importnk2.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA