Outlook 2003 mailbox permissions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Im looking for a quick way to give other users access to someones mailbox in outlook 2003 using Exchange 2003.

At present, if i want someone else to be able to see my mailbox (in its entirety), i have to right click on each folder, select properties, go to permissions, and set the permissions.

Setting the permissions on the mailbox base folder doesnt propagate through all the others.

Delegate permissions doesnt work either, it simply allows them to view a couple of folders, tops, and not by having the mailbox in the folders list.

Any ideas? Ideally i want a solution using as few clicks as possible (i want to give it out to users)

Thanks
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

go into active directory (the one with the exchange plugins)

goto your account properties
    Exchange Advanced -> Mailbox Rights

add the user

then in thier outlook profile under email accounts edit there exchange profile

Advanced 'Open these additional mailboxes' and add your name to the list

they can now open your entire mailbox, everything, calander, mail, contacts, the whole shebang

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

chmod -R a+r filename

Just kidding.... :twisted:

Wish I really could help you on this one, but I've never worked in an Exchange environment.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

surely you wouldnt want ALL to have read access to your mail Freddy?

i mean, you have the ability to assign granular permissions to a handful of users only right? ;)

5. Fergal1982

bugger. I was hoping that there was a way to set it without using AD (we're trying to pass this onto the customers for them to do themselves).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Exchange is pretty integrated into AD, it would be a bit of a security nightmare if users could allow access to thier mailboxes without IT signoff, as it may breach shedloads of company policies
    afraid the other ways the slow folder by folder route you mentioned, but thats not very clean

7. ffreeloader

Well, although I know very little about Exchange itself, it was pretty much a tongue-in-cheek comment on the idea of giving users the ability to start sharing out their mail folders to anyone they wanted to. I looked at that as a disaster waiting to happen, so why not just make them world readable? You know, Moore's Law. If some is good, more is better.... :twisted:

8. Fergal1982

Lol. at present users can give out permissions under the method i listed in my initial post, its just a pain in the arse doing it for EVERY folder you want them to have access to.

9. ffreeloader

Well, it's like I said. I've never worked with Exchange so I'm not very knowledgable about it but I was looking at what I knew about the integration of Exhange into AD and going from the assumption that AD was being used. But, I guess from what you're saying is that the users own their mail folders. However, there must be something there interrupting the chain of inheritance if changing the permissions on the main mail folder doesn't propogate the permissions to all subfolders and files.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Phoenix, I am new to exchange and just did what you said on my SBS box and hey presto it worked :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)