Outdated SSL Ciphers

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zxspectrum, Feb 15, 2022.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hello there

We recently got issued a security bulletin informing us that our SSL ciphers were going to be updated but the information that was presented to us was very vague and I find myself down a rabbit hole. In our place, we have a Live, staging and test server, the last two have already been updated but the Live server which everyone uses, will be updated on the 28th March.

So, I am not 100% sure what I am actually looking for here to test but did come across this link https://geekflare.com/ssl-test-certificate/#anchor-ssl-labs and used the top search as a general test. I ran it all on all of our three environments after the staging and test servers had been upgraded, what I found was that the staging and test servers are now graded as B but our live production server is graded A and is due to go to these new ciphers on the 28th of March.

Regarding the link https://geekflare.com/ssl-test-certificate/#anchor-ssl-labs - is this something that can be used and is deemed reliable at all or would I need to look into something more in-depth?

Cheers for any info/pointers

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its called TLS now, otherwise good job ! :thumbleft

I don't use these tools, normally I check stuff manually (Browser/Curl/Application logss) or by turning SSL debug on by TCPTrace / Packet sniffing, but then I'm a developer and not a SysAdmin.

They look ok to me. Mostly its a matter of updating systems as far as encryption ciphers go. Normally its browsers and web servers.

Mostly people screw up cert trust chains and revocation and renewal. I think IT departments typically either set up alerts or buy a PKI management solution.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Cheers @dmarsh

Those lines you have posted there has given me something to work with and I can look into this a bit more

Thanks
    Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680