"out of office" in the AD?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Big_nath, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi, we have a user that is unexpectedly off work for a few weeks. Is there a way of creating an out of office response through the user account in the AD, instead of doing it through office.

Appologies if this is a simple thing, i have limited knowledge of exchange.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I dont believe so, no.

But if you are a mailbox admin, you will have the ability to create a new outlook profile on your machine in their name, and open up their mailbox, where you can create an OOO for them.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

So simple, thanks i give that a go.

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Same comments as Fergal. :p If they were foolish enough to not put an Out of Office message on then you'll need to apply it inside their Mailbox Profile.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Ah, but don't i still need their password? I want to avoid changing it. Sorry my boss has been off sick the last few weeks, would usually ask him.

6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If it's simply that their mailbox needs monitoring, is setting up mail forwarding a viable solution?

It can be configured to forward to a specified AD account AND still go into the intended mailbox, so your user need never know..... (as long as read receipts don't get in the way :tune)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Qs

No. If you have full administrative access and can therefore add their Mailbox Profile as an extra profile inside your Outlook client.

[​IMG]

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. Fergal1982

no. You dont actually log in as them, just open their mailbox within outlook - of course, you can only do that with mailbox admin rights on their account.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  9. Fergal1982

Thats not the aim. The aim is to set up the OOO so other people know they arent available. not to access the mail to see whats being said.

10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Gah. Didn't read it properly *smack*

Ignore me. Everyone else is being incredibly helpful :oops: :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. Qs

Damn MCP's thinking they know everything....

*runs away* :p

Qs

12. Qs

Nath - Check the screenshot I posted previously. Follow the arrows :p

Let us know if you can't sort it.

Qs

13. Fergal1982

I dont see em. not that i need to but still...

14. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

To add the customers Mailbox ensure that you are not in Outlook and follow the steps below:

Start > Control Panel > Mail > Profiles > Show Profiles > Add > Enter Name > Enter The Users Details & Exchange Server Information > Select Profile Always Use This Profile (New Profile Name)

Into MS Outlook > Out Of Office Assistance > Enter Message Details

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  15. Fergal1982

You can also do it via OWA if you have it. Its something we used to do a fair bit to get around having to set it up. you basically just needed to change the address url for OWA to point to their email address and, providing you had the appropriate access, it would let you into their mailbox.

16. Qs

....then once you're done you'll need to revert to the previous default profile (or delete the user's profile) using the same method.

You can add addtional profiles inside or outside of Outlook so you don't need to be out of the application.

Whatever floats your boat Nath. Both methods will work.

Qs

17. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi and thanks,
    I have done this, but still having an issue. I have added the mailbox (tried it inside and out of outlook). But it askeds for a password, but doesn't except it. I have a domain admin account. I will have a play again in a while.

18. Qs

Ok... then go into AD on your exchange server and double check the mailbox permissions for the user in question.

If the admin account you're using is not listed then add it and give it another shot.

Qs

19. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Yeah i checked this i have permissions on the mailbox.

20. Qs

Sure you're doing it properly?

Find the user.

Rightclick the user.

Navigate to properties.

Choose the Exchanged Advanced tab.

Click the Mailbox Rights button.

Domain Admins needs to be listed inside here with appropriate rights (have a look through all the tick boxes).

Let us know.

Qs