Out of date training material?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by intrigue, Mar 7, 2006.

1. intrigue

intrigue New Member

Im just curious if its me or is my training material out of date.

On my course it still mentions ISA connections and also that half duplex is almost exclusivly used and recently there has been an increase in full duplex?
    However, Windows XP is still mentioned so im thinking maybe that the course is covering older stuff as its still in existance.

Any opinions welcome
    thanks
    matt

Certifications: -
    WIP: N+, MCSE
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You'd be surprised just how much of that older stuff is still out there in existance!

Your course materials are most likely upto date, they simply include information on the older stuff for the above reason.

8)

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

From my experience both A+ and N+ tend to lag a bit behind the 'latest' technology. However the fundamentals are sound, and many techs, in the course of their work, meet older kit that hasn't needed replacement.

Where is this training material from? For N+ I would suggest getting the Meyers book as it covers the material well.

I've also suspected that the actual exam is more up-to-date than a lot of the practice exams and course material. This is done, I think, by changing the relative quantity of questions on old and new stuff.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. intrigue

intrigue New Member

Thats good as i think my day to day work experience is much more newer stuff as we are fortunate to have a decent budget to replace old kit. I dont think i have seen an ISA slot for about a year but at least ona recent interview i was able to still recognise it :)
    matt

Certifications: -
    WIP: N+, MCSE
  5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

i can't comment on the merrits of including outdated technology in study material. however, in the real world you will come accross a lot of legacy technology, so it's always a good thing to know about some of that stuff.
    to give you two examples from my own experience. three years ago i worked in a hospital. there the emergency room had some exotic (and proprietary) ms dos application that connected to a novell directory and an oracle database on a unix server. problem was, the dos application could only run on pre-mmx processors. replacing that application was deemed too expensive, so management decided to just keep a few pentium 1 120mhz machines on storage as a fallback solution. i've been told, by my former colleagues, that the application is still used to this very day.
    at my current job, part of the engineering department runs on a banyan vines network, which they refuse to give up, and which i have to support. the company banyan doesn't even exist anymore.