OU Degree

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zebulebu, Jun 2, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

As some of you on here may know, my formal education background is not computer-related (Geology).

I have been toying with the idea of doing an OU degree for some time now, and am pretty sure I'm going to take the plunge next year. However, I get conflicting reports on whether or not I can transfer my M$ certs (or indeed any other certs I have acquired, like ITIL) onto the OU degree I'll be doing and claim them as part of my credits toward the degree.

The brochure I picked up from the OU last week is vague about it (it states that you can transfer certifications form industry vendors onto your course and claim up to 60 credits at level 2), but doesn't say what certifications apply. I know a couple of people on here who have posted that they have already transferred M$ certs across to their degree, which would indicate that it IS possible, but just to muddy the waters further, I rang the OU helpline and was summarily told that M$ certs are NOT transferrable onto an OU degree

Confused?

You betcha!

Does anyone who has in the past, or is planning to, use M$ certs to count towards an OU degree have anything definitive on the subject?

Thanks, in advance :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i remember reading somewhere MCSE and MCSA and i think CCNA... wasnt somethong posted on CF?:blink

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its common practice to allow people with experience to go onto the second and even the third years of degree programs, this applies to full time degrees at University as well as the OU.

You basically have to make the case why they should let you, I did a one year computer science degree after my two year HND. It was hard and my grades suffered but I saved a year and got into industry a year earlier.

I find all the OU course point totals and pathways as clear as mud. I'd go to an OU open evening and ask.

Take these as proof :-
    http://www.computing.open.ac.uk/Course/TM227
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01B49

"If you have any queries about the above, you are welcome to email [email protected]"

I've considered OU multiple times but decided that 4-6 years for a degree was too long, so yes unless they are gonna give you significant credit I'd look elsewhere.

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Zim - you're a star.

Forgot to check back through past threads - Doh!

Looks like the daft sow I spoke to on the OU's 'help'line didn't have a Danny what she was going on about. i suspected as much at the time, but didn't have the heart for a row. I might write to them to complain though - although it probably wouldn't have made much difference to me when making a decision on whether to study with the OU, I wonder if any other prospective students would have been put off by the inaccurate information they give out?

Once again - thanks. I'll forgive you for being a hubcap-stealer now!

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Great advice, thanks!

I think with my academic background and industry experience they should give me a lot of credit - I'm not sure whether two years' worth is a bit too much - the thing I like with the OU is the modular approach. I'm not too fussed how long it takes me to get a degree (within reason), but the fact that I may be able to transfer points across that would sort of get me in 'halfway through year two' (if that makes sense!) appeals to me. there's no way I could convince 'er indoors to let me go back to studying full-time anyway, so the OU really is my best option I think.

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, i would do a part-time degree at your local college/Uni (2 evening a week - that's how I did mine). I just say this as I also looked at an OU degree, however the OU costs were about 2 to 3 time more expensive than evening classes at your local educational institute.

Depending on what year you get accepted to it can take 3 to 5 years to get your degree (similar to the OU).

That's just my 2 cents.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you have a Geology degree you might want to consider a conversion MSc in computing instead.

Its all nonsense but basically in the eyes of many employers you will be considered more qualified because you have a masters instead of a bachelors.

9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi

I am in the final third of a B Eng (Hons) with the OU and would recommend the OU any day.

I understand that if you are doing a Foundation Degree you can use some MCPs.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01TM227

Once you have your FD you could then add some further courses and upgrade it to a full BSc(Hons) Open.

The OU has a number of "named degrees" in subjects such as Computing and Information Technology but I don't think you can convert from a FD to a named degree - give your regional office a ring they are very helpful.

I suspect that because FDs are "new" there is some confusion with them.

If you are a graduate then a MSc could be an option or a PG Certificate or PG Diploma.

Hope this helps and good luck if you decide to take up OU study.