OSI

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Luddym, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but here might be a good place. :)

Just started studying for my last exam of my MCSA, the 70-291 and noticed that there is some reference to the OSI.

I've done my Comptia N+, and learnt the OSI according to comptia. Then I bought the CCNA book and considered doing my CCNA before finishing my MCSA, but decided not to, because I didn't want to learn the OSI according to... Cisco yet. Now I find that we have to know the OSI according to Microsoft.

Does anyone know if the OSI is a big part of the 70-291, as I've checked the Microsoft exam criteria and couldn't really find any reference to it.

Thanks in advance chappys and chappesses. 8)

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Lud i got the ms press book and the 1st few chapters take you through a bit of networks theory. Subnetting is big thou.APIPA addressing... Let me crack the book open again and see because those were off the top of my head...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

re the OSI, it's the same regardless of who talks about it as its an ISO model, not a cisco, microsoft or comptia model.

That said, some explanations are better than others. If you understand it, you should be ok for any vendor... just like if you know tcp/ip, or DNS or DHCP it's pretty much the same for any vendor

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

OSI shouldn't be that different between N+, Cisco and M$.

Part of the problem is that few real world protocol stacks map exactly to OSI, there are some fuzzy edges.

But the basics should be the same.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+