OSCP - How to Prepare as a Highschooler?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by JLW99, Jul 15, 2016.

1. JLW99

JLW99 New Member

So I'm in high school and I've been researching and thinking about taking the oscp course. I know it's one of the most grueling certification courses, but I do have quite a bit of knowledge about hacking. I was wondering if anyone knew any sort of prior knowledge I should have specifically or maybe any other certifications that I should complete before hand or will I be learning pretty much everything from the PWK course? Any advicewould be great, considering that most people who take this exam are much older than I am.

Thanks

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

My only concern with this level of exam and your age is that whole lack of experience thing and being taken seriously when trying for a role.

Unless you already have a conviction for hacking and have been turned by the FBI I think you would honestly struggle with walking in to a security role straight out of school, you need some experience of working in the IT Industry, have some kind of AppSec, Networking, OS or Vulnerability experience. It's no good taking an exam and then trying to get in to that field as it's more usual for exams such as this to prove experience rather than giving it.

I mean look at the CISSP exam, it requires a certain period of demonstrable time in the industry (5 years that you can prove), working with Kali at home is great but actually knowing Kali and various Linux distros come's with time and experience.

I don't mean to be putting a dampener on your wishes and perhaps someone like @Rob1234 can offer some perspective as he works in the Security field.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. JLW99

JLW99 New Member

I'm not really looking for any career in IT (at least not for a few years). I just wanted to take this course to learn as much as I can about pentesting. I already have a considerable amount of knowledge in pentesting, but I'm just trying to further that knowledge and I know the OSCP course has like 800 videos that teach almost everything. My end goal is to learn, not to apply for any jobs just yet. I was just wondering, since it is a very challenging course (and exam), if there was any preparation I would need for it. I know a few people said that BASH and Python scripting knowledge are useful for the course so I'm learning that now. I was just looking for any other things I should get a hold on before I jump into the course.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So you already know that the PWK course should be done first, so I would say do that course, have a chat with your instructor and take it from there.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. JLW99

JLW99 New Member

Lol yeah the PWK course was kind of what I was talking about mostly. Sorry for the miscommunication. I was just hoping for any advice to prepare for the course itself. I know I can only purchase a certain amount of lab time and so I was just making sure that I will be prepared to finish the course without wasting time and money having to buy more lab time since I heard even the course itself is very challenging. Thanks!