os question

Discussion in 'Software' started by moominboy, May 26, 2006.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hiya folks.

im trying to download the wondows media player beta from the official ms site, all goes well until i actually try to install.

it says i have an incompatible operating system, and must have xp with service pack 2,....... which i do.

av and as doesn't throw anything much up.

any ideas folks?

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

does this help?

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You're not running a 'non-official' version of XP there are you Moom? Could be one of those security checking thingys that is stopping the install? :ohmy

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Normally MS won't let you download anything before taking the validation test.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. moominboy

that just another d/load page cheek?

i have the actual install file saved and have validated, boyce is correct btw, the problem is when it's almost installed, the message pops up, just at the end.

curiouser and curiouser.....

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Try;
    sfc/scanow (at the run box) :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. moominboy

not sure how or why folks but even though the control panel - system says i have sp 2, it seems to have regressed to sp 1.

can't find anything really on google so im assuming some kind of virus / infection did this as a way of bypassing sp 2's security.

anyway, im d/loading all the updates now, (btw i have auto updates on).

so just to tell anyone who might ahve had this problem , re-check the update page just in case.

EDIT: scratch that , update fails each and every time and still can't find any nasties kicking about.....

8. moominboy

ok another problem im hoping someone can help me with.

still couldn't d/load the service pack but found a disc which is all good.

at the end of install it complains that the kernel used to start windows is not a windows file, maybe some grub leftovers, not sure though but i do have two options at boot, win xp and win xp home ed.....

would the recovery disc be able to repair the kernel safely or can i go into the bios to delete the optional boot?

ta folks!

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I would say give it a try with the recovery disc moom...otherwise delete optional boot in BIOS...but am sure others have their answers...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life