Organise myself..

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by SimonV, Mar 18, 2011.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Im looking for a website / app that I can use to help me keep track of things like project, tasks, ideas, notes, dates. I have quite a few projects going on and I've always struggled to remember things so Im looking for something that can help me with this kind of stuff.

I dont need it for work as Outlook does the trick for my desk job, Im looking for something thats on the web so I can access when Im online. I mainly need it to organise myself so I can kep track of things and remember things related to different projects.

Any sugestions would be great, cheers. Si :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I use evernote that way. Its a cloud based scrap book I suppose is the best description but has apps on all the major platforms, it allows you to create a work book per project and then allows enteries can be tagged with what ever you want, they can be added from the website or from dedicated desktop or mobile clients or for when you are on the move you can email the notes to evernote and it will put them in the workbook for you.

Absoultuly priceless IMO and bargin at free for < 2gb traffic.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

google apps?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I use a couple of apps for similar things

Dropbox
    Evernote
    SeizeTheDay

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I'm boring, I use Outlook... but it does have a calendar, notes, tasks, journal and so on... *shrug*

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Me too. A lot of people seem to dismiss outlook for some reason but it works so I use it. :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Outlook does the job for my desk job, Im looking for something that I can use thats web based and more to the point free.

I use dropbox alot for transferring files I frequently need between home and work, pc and laptop.

Ill give Evernote a look cheers.

Keep em coming.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Big fan of Dropbox...

Handy too as you can share files with selected others if you are working on a team.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Well, if you don't want to be linked to any single physical device (i.e. you want access to everything, even from computers which are not yours), then maybe some cloud service offerings may be your thing? Of course, if you want to have programs of your own on your own laptop, then suggestions from above seem great.

But if you're interested, every Live account with Hotmail does have capabilities to have contacts, there's a calendar as well, you get 25GB of disk space in the cloud if you need to store some stuff accessible from other computers, and you also get access to some Office applications if you need to write a document or fill in some excel sheets for personal accounting/projects/dates/tasks. You can also grant permissions to the office documents so that other Live users can view or edit them (even at the same time as you), which might be nice for those situations where you need to collaborate (or just provide download links for colleagues/friends).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Google Calendar and you add it into your Outlook at work so can access it anywhere.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I use Google calendar, Dropbox, Google docs and an Androd app called Astrid Tasks (links into Google tasks). :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sorry I'm a little late, I was going to suggest what csx said, I use google calendar, when I can actually remember to update it. Which defeats the whole point of me using it :p

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009