optimize customize

Discussion in 'Software' started by 3omaro, Nov 28, 2007.

1. 3omaro

3omaro Bit Poster

i would like to start discussing the way to optimize boost customize your computer your tricks,tips,and also myth tips(that don't really work)? what are your essential softwares and additional updates?
    how go you get the best of your computer?

WIP: COLLEGE!! A+
  2. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

Start->run->msconfig and 'disable all' in Startup tab :)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance > Adjust for best Performance. 8)

4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Windowskey+pause > Advanced Tab > Performance "Settings" > Advanced Tab > Virtual Memory > Allocate depending on system

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

alter the registry to speed up boot and shut down times

then go into the bios and crank up the FSB, multiplier and HT :)

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

get more RAM and adjust page file settings, and right click my computer > Advanced > properties >adjust performance

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Already said that myself =]

and buying more ram doesn't really count as optimizing and customizing, it's upgrading :p

8. greenbrucelee

We must think alike :)

As for RAM bit mine has flashing lights :blink so its sort of customizing :D

9. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

o_O sounds funky!

10. greenbrucelee

Not sure what the LEDs are supposed to represent but maybe it will say if there is an instruction sheet when the RAM arrives on Saturday.

11. 3omaro

3omaro Bit Poster

this is a little tools but really great
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    its help to configure startup
    and C4sper is you disable all the entries you will disable the anti virus for example and thats not a good think ..
    better know what entry to disable
    and grim i think the fSP is a little advanced thing also you can lose the mobo and the cpu ram too if you push too much, so can you give use a little idea how to i got a P4 2.4GHZ,512ram,an ASUS P4B533 :cry:

THANKS

12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm sorry, I just can't resist.

Start > shut down

Debian: expert <enter>

Applications > Debian > Shells > Gnome Terminal

That's how I optimized my PC....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. 3omaro

3omaro Bit Poster

okay for me i reinstall my computer every 15-20days 1mouth max coz things star to accumulate especially my desktop (the poor hard drive :cry: ) after the installation i make some changes on my computer:
    *in the hard disk system properties disable the indexation for speed search (sorry i translate from frensh) then ok,i my documents music videos are all in the other hard drive.
    disable error report configuration panel>system>advanced>error reporting>disable but report when its critical .
    i customize the task bar disable grouping of similar bouton i hate that and of course view the quick launch icon's.
    install the anti virus now im using avast home edition (any advice for the antivirus:blink)
    install drivers and system updates and then defragmenting
    finally we get to the essentials for me the 2 best software i ever seen are WINRAR and IRFANVIEW

tweak ui
    ccleaner
    orbit downloader
    isobuster (for my scratched cd's:dry)

14. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Defragment HD and Pagefile

WIP: LIFE
  15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

add nitrous oxide, red bull and then chuck it out the window

16. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Jeeez. Every month??? The seems a tad excessive. But if you are insistent on doing that, and your data is on an external drive, perhaps you should buy Acronis True Image. That way, you can rebuild your machine, install your apps and any updates. Then take an image of that machine. When you want to go back, you just restore the image. It would save you a hell of a lot of time in the long run.

In order to keep things to a minimum, you could restore to image, install any updates since the last image, then reimage the machine ready for the next restore.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do nothing :biggrin

Seririously, if you are careful in regard to what software you install on your PC then it should run ok with no need to mess around with performance settings.

Why not run a virtual PC if you are constantly testing\installing software and then just install the apps you really need on your live PC. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I reinstall every 18-24 months or so... but more importantly, I keep stuff off my PC that I don't need. Adding applications one after another (each of which want a place in your startup tray) is the quickest way to bogging down a computer. Keep it clean, and your computer will run quickly... remove things you don't use... and consider carefully before installing something in the first place.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. 3omaro

3omaro Bit Poster

thats a good idea Fergal1982 i have tried nlite too .
    but i think the problem is not just my pc its also me
    i don't feel good just if ive installed something before something else
    like installing softwares before net framework stuff like that i feel that my computer is not built on strong bases:rolleyes:
    also if i installed a software and i found after that that i don't need it even if i uninstall it and remove all registry key relate to it im not comfortable !!!
    even that i don't let my father play with the free cell until i finish all this things

i need a shrink!!!!!:ohmy

20. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Yeah, seems like it!

A PC isnt a delicate thing really. The innards are, but the software is a fair bit more stable than you seem to think it is. Order of installation of software is irrelevant, unless there are dependencies in the software. Its not like its built like a pyramid, with every installation stacking on top of the installations before it. Stop worrying about something like that, its pointless, and you are better spent using the energy you are wasting on such things on more worthwhile pursuits (for instance, the 2-4 hours you spend reinstalling your system every 25 days could be spent studying towards your A+). The one benefit, I suppose, is that you have experience installing Windows on machines.

If you want to get into IT, I would suggest getting over a hang-up like that, the machines you work on are hardly going to be like that. Hell, some pc's go years without being reformatted, and in many cases, the users are unlikely to let you do it. If you dont, you are likely to drive yourself crazy.

Uninstalling software is always going to be a pain. For some reason companies seem to find it impossible to remove all traces of their software from the registry, etc. Not entirely sure why, but there it is.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present