Operating system failed to load

Discussion in 'Software' started by ams_sxi, Mar 8, 2008.

1. ams_sxi

ams_sxi New Member

Hi, i just bought this new laptop a few months ago its a Dell D630, i have vista business installed on it. But since yesterday when i switch it on the dell logo screen comes up and then it says Operating system failed to load.

Could anyone help how i can fix this, i put the vista installation cd in to re install vista but when i load the laptop from cd drive it says press any key to boot from CD, i do that and then it just displays the vista loading screen and doesnt do anything else.

Im really stuck and need urgent help on this as my work is stored on the laptop and i need to access it ASAP!

Thanks

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If it is new, and only a few months old, then you will need to get it repaired under warranty, so contact Dell.

If you haven't backed up your work, then a good repair shop should be able to take an image of the drive for you. You/they will need to be careful about this, as any indication of somebody other than Dell opening the machine could invalidate your warranty.

Oh - and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ams_sxi

ams_sxi New Member

Thanks for the reply, Is there no way i could reinstall vista on xp on it myself, just need it working asap,its gonna be too much hassle sending it dell and so on. thanks

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dell should send a tech to your house to fix it. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Up to you. If you reinstall Vista it is possible that you lose all your work.

And if the drive has failed than it gets much more complicated.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thinking about this logically.. the lappy wont boot from the hard drive.. and the lappy wont boot from the CD ROM drive.. i think it's highly likely to not be fixable by re-installing Vista (even if you could).. it sounds like a hardware issue.

So, you need to get it fixed under warranty, as it could be a faulty system board.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Dell laptop motherboards periodically go toes up, so I think your best bet is to have Dell fix it under warranty. I had a similar situation some years back when my laptop blue screened and the motherboard had to be replaced at the factory.

Certifications: A+ and Network+