Online proctored exams with Pearson VUE

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Thought I would try this as finding anywhere to take an exam these days is virtually impossible.

Easy enough to setup on a laptop (webcam) but when I was trying to book a time for the exam on the same day time slots seemed to show up and then became unavailable when purchasing. I selected a time the following day and had no problem booking. Worth noting that times were available all night so plenty of options to pick from if you have a busy schedule.

Had to put the app on my phone to take pictures of my home office. Once they are submitted I was put into a queue (was second in line) for everything to be checked. Had to speak to the moderator to move a few things further away from my desk (old IT junk) then I could start the exam.

Exam software was fairly similar to what I used for the MCSE 2003 exams but had been modernised as expected.

Once completed I got the result in a few seconds and the pass appeared shortly after that on my MS transcript.

Would highly recommend if anyone is thinking about taking an exam online – saves so much time! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    Kitkatninja and JK2447 like this.
  2. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Definitely the future isn't it. I've sat a couple from home, I know the drill now so sit in the kitchen where I've not got any books. Not that I buy IT books anymore do you?

I've always found that I'll find a really good testing center near me, and by the time I sit my next exam, which admittedly might be a year or two later, the place has shut! So annoying. For that reason the online remote proctored are the best.

At VMware we do the VCAP advanced professional exams. You could always do the Design from home but not the Deploy as that spins up a lab. We've fixed that now so you can do both from home. Happy days! (not that I've had the time as you say mate!!)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Sparky

Similar situation here – limited locations to take the exam and not much capacity – only a couple of seats in some cases.

Handy that you can try and book the exam the same day or next day if you want to take the exam last minute.

Not buying many books these days (most are on my kindle) but I did buy one to get started with the Azure certs. :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    JK2447 likes this.
  4. Skrrt

Skrrt New Member

Just did a PearsonVUE online for the first time the other day too. Was kinda smooth but like you, had to move things off my desk. As well, they wanted me to move my second monitor away (Or unplug the power and show them the power cable end!).

Also you aren't allowed to wear headphones/earphones, which does kind of make sense since someone could be feeding you answers. But I had to do a mad scramble to switch to speakers and toss my earphones. Then after I tossed them they wanted me to move the webcam to show where I had put them (Threw them to the other side of the room which was a hassle).

But I assume once you've done one and know the setup it's pretty smooth for the next.

5. Sparky

Yeah I had to show where I had put my mobile phone – they insisted it had to be far away from my desk but when I was reading about the exam requirements it noted that the phone had to be close enough that they could call me if the connection dropped.

Also had to hold up my laptop to see more of the room – not easy as it was my laptop webcam and I think they thought it was a stand alone webcam that I could move around.

Would still recommend though! :)