Online or not? help needed please

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by fahad_rahman, Oct 8, 2013.

1. fahad_rahman

fahad_rahman New Member

Hi All,
    I have been offered to do these courses online:

The course details are as follows, the training is on five modules which are listed below.

1) Windows 7 configuration - 680
    2) Windows 2008 Active Directory - 640
    3) Windows 2008 Network Infrastructure - 642
    4) Windows Exchange server 2010 – 662
    5) Windows Exchange server 2010 – 663

Can someone please confirm if

A) They are Microsoft exams i.e. MCSE, MCTS etc.
    B) I can possibly do these online or do you recommend classroom based for the above topics?

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi, these are indeed all currently available MS exams.

The 680 is the first half of the MCSA: Windows 7 certification - you would also need either the 685 or 686 to complete this.

The 640 + 642 are 2/3 of the MCSA: Server 2008 certification - you would also need 646 to complete this.

The 662 and 663 are stand-alone exams.

Overall it seems a good 'grounding' in SysAdmin work, but you would not receive a specific Certification for any of the combinations that are being offered. All can easily be studied for privately, online or in a classroom environment. It just depends on which is better for the individual. Personally, I self-study.

Other than the 680, I wouldn't recommend studying any of them unless you also have practical experience in the use of these Microsoft technologies. And, even the 680 isn't structured like the old MCDST cert, so all should only really be tackled from the point of view of someone with experience.

Nothing proves your worth more than practical experience in IT.

HTH.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. fahad_rahman

fahad_rahman New Member

Thank you for the swift response.

Basically I have been offered by a company a 'managed service' where I complete all the above for 800 pounds and get offered a position at a company (thier client). I personally feel the word 'job guarantee' is used too simply. I will be visitng the company today at 5.30pm as I have been promised that on the contract it says 'job offer of a ?? salary once the exams are completed and passed'.

However, they mentioned nothing about the 685 or 686 which you say i will need to complete the 680.
    and again 646 there is no mention.

I currently work within IT Project coordination but not tech support. I do however come from an IT degree background and am now keen to do some certs to get into IT. However, after reading your post it seems as though the modules/courses I have been offered are unstructured.

Do I not need labs and physical work to better complete the above modules?

4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

As I mentioned earlier, I think they are offering a 'grounding' in SysAdmin work - the exams therein are genuine and full, it is just that, as you mentioned 'certification' which is different to just taking these exams, I thought I should point out that you would not receive any MCSA for completing these courses.

There is nothing wrong in that though as, instead, you would be receiving a cross-platform (Windows client/Windows Server/Exchange Server) foundation.

Be very wary, though, when someone offers a 'guaranteed' job at the end of paying for their training - this generally goes unfulfilled and you will be out of pocket.

In answer to:

I can definitely say that physical experience/labbing is a 100% necessity...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  5. fahad_rahman

fahad_rahman New Member

Thank you very much for your help. i tend to learn better with labs. I will visit them today and see how it sounds. appreciate your help.

6. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

No problem.

Good luck, and don't forget to post back once you've learnt a little more.

Every reported experience people have with any form of IT learning is greatly appreciated her at CF! :thumbleft