one step forward two steps back

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by NeilKilroy08, Jan 21, 2008.

1. NeilKilroy08

NeilKilroy08 New Member

Does anyone every think they just aint getting anywhere. I am fond of that word "why" i have picked up the books to study my 271 and find that as im working through my exam cram book that i cant even get passed the first chapter. aaarrggghhh reason being that as im studying a specific topic i love to use that wonderful word "why" why does this happen, why does that happen i stray off and find myself looking on the internet to find out WHY

what im trying to say is has anyone just studied and just made done with the answer. I think im just scared that im going to continue through my book and the answer will never come. Im my own worst enemy haha. am i approaching the whole self study thing wrong ???

WIP: MCDST\MCSA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

70-271 can be difficult to someone who has never supported PCs before. Getting a good foundation of experience is helpful. Otherwise, the studying will be slow going.

My apologies if you have answered this already... but are you currently working in IT? Have you taken the A+ yet?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. arathorn

arathorn New Member

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. It's good to ask WHY, otherwise we just repeat what we have learned not really understand what we have learned. It takes time for it to all fall into place. Maybe you need to put the book down and have a break from learning for a while, then pick it back up when you feel you want to. Hope this helps some. Mark.

Certifications: MCP MCDST MCITP MCTS Comptia Security+
  4. NeilKilroy08

NeilKilroy08 New Member

Thanks for the reply

Well i do work in I.T but my role is really specific to the company i work for. I work on a helpdesk to troubleshoot issues with software we push out to financial advisors. I have some knowledge about Microsoft Services and Applications but relevant to the task in hand.

Im thinking that starting off with the mcdst has thrown me in the deep end.

Im assuming you think that the A+ Exam will be benifical and if i study that it will make my mcdst easier to digest ????

5. BosonMichael

Not sure if it's necessarily throwing you in the deep end... but if you're not supporting those sort of problems - user problems as they relate to Windows XP - then you're liable to have some difficulties.

The A+ exam will be beneficial to give you some good foundational knowledge... but will it help you a great deal? I can't say for sure, but I think so - anyone else with opinions on this? Certainly the troubleshooting method that you employ when doing A+ related tasks certainly carries through to troubleshooting Windows-based OS and app problems.

I wish I could give you a more definite opinion... it's been a long time since I've taken or written about 271 and 272.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. NeilKilroy08

NeilKilroy08 New Member

Thanks a lot for the reply. you have been helpful, since you posted i have managed to have a look at the course outline and i have had some dvds knocking about with comptia material on it, i can see where you are coming from.

Thanks very much

7. BosonMichael

Glad to be of service... I am hopeful that others can weigh in with their opinions regarding the benefits of taking A+ before 271. :)