One Install for all

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Amine, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

Hello Everyone,
    I use vmware quite a lot, and I am always breaking my virtual machines. I am looking for a way that will allow me to not have to install from scratch a machine everytime I need a new system to play with (Am I making sense:blink ?) is that possible, I have searched uncle google but no luck.

I would appreciate your help. (I know that there are a couple of vmware gurus here at CF:oops: )

WIP: Exchange
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Copying VM in MS Virtual PC is alot easier in my opinion, but since you're using VMWare, see here :)

Hope this helps

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You can create a VM from scratch and when you get it exactly the way you want it, save it as a snapshot. Then have at it. When the virtual machine breaks, just restore it from the snapshot and start playing again.

Also, VMs are just files in your My Documents folder (assuming the host is Windows). Just copy the VM files to a backup folder somewhere for safe keeping. When you brake a VM, delete the original files and replace it with the backup.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

I like both solutions thanks a lot guys :thumbleft

WIP: Exchange