One hell of a challenge!

Discussion in 'Network+' started by dino66uk, Mar 30, 2009.

1. dino66uk

dino66uk Nibble Poster

Hi i posted a thread recently about N+,

Ive just found out the Network + 2007 retires on july 31st.

The pass mark is just 554/900. Can anyone tell me why the pass mark is so low??
    The new exam is 720/900 and 10 more questions.

And how hard is the actual exam??

At this moment in time im unemployed and got all the time in the world, and thinking i can pass this exam given 3 months dedication!

As im half way through CCNA at college and have a considerable amount of knowledge in Networking i believe i could do it.

What do you guys think? shall i go for it?

Certifications: A+ CCENT
    WIP: ICND 2
  2. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Funnily enough mate I was thinking the same thing. I only found out today that the 2007 Network+ exam finishes on July 31st. I'm yet to start studying for the N+ and in all honesty I don't think 3 months is enough time for me to pass it - I think I'd be rushing it.

I wish I'd enquired about the N+ earlier. If I'd have known that the retirement date for the old exam was July 31st, I'd have started studying at the beginning of 2009!

One way of the other, I'll pass it. Whether its before or after July.

Certifications: IT 2:1 Degree, A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Not sure why the pass mark is so low, perhaps because it covers more than the new edition? (not sure whether that is correct or not, just an idea) The exam has some similarities with the A+, but there are several questions based on older technologies.

I did the A+ exam, took a little break, then dived straight into the N+. It took me exactly three months to pass it, while working full time. If you put enough hours in a day, there is no reason why you can't do it!
    If you don't feel confident you can pass it though, don't risk it. Start studying for the new N+ exam, because you don't really want to have to spend another £160+ to retake the test ;)

4. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I'm in pretty much the same boat. I have been plowing through the book and plan to book it a month or so before the retirement date so I have a chance to retake if necessary.

I'm very close to buying the CBT nuggets videos for it but haven't decided yet.

I would say go for it. Even if you don't make it, I'm sure alot of the knowledge from the 2007 exam will carry into the 2009 version. After all, Cat 5 is still Cat 5. . . unless it is Cat 5e :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The pass mark is set by Comptia, so it's down to them on how they score their exams.

The term hard is relative, it's depends on the individual person (how hard/much they've studied) as well as the questions they get on the day. Eg an exam they sit on Monday could be harder/easier than an exam they sit on Tuesday.

To tell the truth, if you put your mind to it. Properly study and prepare, there's no reason why you can't take and pass the older version of the Network+ before July.

Good luck :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd start studying ASAP.
    So far I've found it a lot easier than the A+ (400 pages easier for a start) and quite a lot of it is stuff the A+ should have taught you, wireless speeds, CAT speeds, topologies etc.
    The A+ basically covered every topic, the Net+ goes a bit deeper but that's about it.
    In fact, there's only two difficult concepts, the OSI layer and classless subnetting (imo). I'd already figured out how classless subnetting worked and a few days banging my head against the OSI layer sorted that out as well. With your CCNA knowledge passing this exam should be like taking candy from a baby.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you study and learn the material you will be fine. The current exam has things like NetBui in it and AppleTalk where as the newer one doesn't I expect the newer one will be harder.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. dino66uk

dino66uk Nibble Poster

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. dino66uk

dino66uk Nibble Poster

Hi soundian, are you using mike meyers network + 3rd edition?

11. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Yes. I also have the Sybex book for afters. Yum.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!