One for the members outside the UK

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by SimonV, Aug 9, 2006.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This might sound like an odd question but if the CF members outside of the UK could answer this I'd appreciate it, I can’t really say much about why I'm asking at the moment so here goes.

Have you heard of a game called "Simon says"? Its playground game playing by children here in the UK and I wondered if it was known outside of these boundaries or even if it originated outside of the UK.

Thanks, Si :)

If you really don’t know what the simon says game is I’ve included it in the hidden text below:
    [HIDE]Simon Says
    One person is chosen to be "Simon" the others stand in a straight line.

The Simon then calls out an action for the children to follow. It can be anything like.... touch your toes jump 10 times on 1 foot...... The Simon when giving an action can simply state the action by it self..."touch your ears" and whoever does it is out and has to sit down. Or the Simon can say "Simon says, touch your ears" and them everyone must follow the instruction. You can vary the actions according to the age group of children you are playing with. The last person who is standing can then be "Simon"! This game is very common and easy to play.[/HIDE]

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Well, I don't know about the rest of the world, but I do know its inherent in US culture - they invented the game 'Simon', there was a pop-metal band called 'Simon Says' around a few years back and the no-spelling-ability-having rapper Pharoahe Monch has a tune called Simon Says on one of his albums

HTH!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - "a few years back"?

I remember Simon says (in the UK) when I was a kid - and that was 50 years ago!

Harry (old farts 'r' us)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

As i am <Simon> i remember it all too well. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah we used to play it in zimbabwe but i guess thats not unexpected as rhodesia was a british colony...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Wheres Trip?

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL

You misunderstood me - the band Simon Says were around a few years back.

I too remember playing Simon Says when I was a kid - mainly in school, where it was like some sort of bizarre 'Lord of the Flies' type interlude in the midst of a regular day - one minute you're cutting shapes out of coloured paper, or playing with plasticine, the next you're in a cutthroat winner-takes-all scenario with kids from estates even rougher than the one you live on yourself...

Ah the joys of growing up in Inner London in the seventies...

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I haven't heard any *Simon Says* references here, the Aussies seem to be into other weird things like bananas in pajamas or that other thing Barny B Bear or whatever. Strange bunch :twisted:

I hail from Croydon too Zeb and I was one of those council estate ruffians. Heard of Lanfranc? :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

What a strange, weird world. There's you, coming from Croydon originally, and moving to Australia - where my Brother is emigrating to as well! He's moving to Melbourne (St. Kilda) in a few months - he's actually been there for the last ten months but he had to come back recently to sort out his wedding Visa. Very spooky!

As for Archbishop Lanfranc, oh yes, I've heard of it! I didn't actually grow up in Croydon - I moved here six years ago when i got married. I grew up in Deptford which, as you'll no doubt remember, is INFINITELY rougher than Croydon... although in recent years its becoming a closer-run thing.

Not sure how long ago you left, but I think its safe to say that Croydon has gone downhill since whenever that is - I say its safe to say that, 'cos Croydon becomes even more of a shithole every day...

Whereabouts in Croydon were you from? And please don't tell me you support Palace - I'm a Charlton fan :oops:

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sure...I used to play it as a kid. I don't think kids play it much here anymore...of course, my youngest is 18 years old so it's hard for me to say. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL no I won't tell you I support Palace, in fact their fans annoyed me so much when I lived close to Selhurst Park, that I will never forgive them. Parking in my drive on a busy Saturday is not funny :dry

I grew up in a council estate near Ikea. After that, lived in South Norwood, Then Purley, then Wallington then got the hell out of there in 2001 :eek: :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Oh yes. We played Simon Says when I was a little guy.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  13. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

SimonV,

Yes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  14. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I don't remember playing Simon Says, but I do know of the game. Your reference to it is the first mention of the game I've seen/heard in years. I have several grandkids and not a one of them play it that I know of.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Can I jump in for a mini post-hijack ?

This is where I stayed with my now-Missus when we went to Oz some years back. Was Blessington Gardens we were in. Small world, right enough :D

:offtopic

Yeah, we did Simon Says up in Scotland too (not quite overseas). Has anyone mentioned the electronic game called Simon, from the late 70's / early 80's ? Was 4 coloured panels in a circle that lit up and sounded a different note in sequence, adding one at a time, and you had to successively repeat back the ever-increasing sequence in turns until one player got it wrong, and they were out. Winner was the player that lasted longest. Great game (from memory) - damned annoying at the time though !! :biggrin

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeps - me!

I remember Simon - it used to drive me nuts. It was one of the coolest toys, but the frustration when you got one of the sequence wrong was arse-clenchingly annoying!

17. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I played Simon online, think it was either a flash version or java based, cant remember, but like Zeb said, its a right pain up the arse when you miss the combination... ...actually, it may be in the addictive games of the week here on CF... prob check the thread out later to see if i can find it...