On the IT scrap heap at 42?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mackem66, Feb 10, 2009.

1. mackem66

mackem66 New Member

Hi,what a great forum with some valuable information on pretty much everything certification wise!

I've been out of IT for a few years,having taken time out to be with my young Son,now 2 1/2 years old,and wish to re-enter the industry.I have a few years experience in hardware installations,helpdesk,networking and project roll-outs but these were all 3 or four years ago.My last certification was an MCSE in NT.

I've maintained an interest in IT,and have been working through local newspaper ads installing and configuring customer's PC's and hardware at their homes.

I've now moved to a rural location where any work,let alone IT,is sparse.I'm considering taking a CCNA,which I'm confident I could pass with the appropriate amount of effort,however I've heard that employers aren't keen on the over 40's despite legislation to the contrary.I read somewhere on here that HR depts quickly discount people of my age (42),even if they have some experience,if they have been out of the industry for a while.

What are my realistic chances of securing something,particularly during these dire economic times?any opinions and experiences welcome!!

Certifications: mcse nt
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hi - welcome to the forum from a Charlton fan. I will always have a soft spot for your lot after that playoff final back in '98 :)

I think that the fact you've been out of IT for a while is more likely to count against you than your age. A lot of that stuff said about age discrinimation in IT is, quite frankly, bollocks - its spread by agencies who are looking to recruit people they are most comfortable with and, since they're all 25 year old wide boys, that's their niche audience. All this 'IT is a young man's game' is crap - it might be more advantageous to someone looking to get into the industry with no experience at all to be a youngster (more willing to take **** from employers, less likely to demand a significant salary) but I think experience is a positive bonus in this field - and even though yours may have been a couple of years ago it still puts you above most candidates looking for second line jobs.

You can always say that you took time out to be with your family - if anybody responsible for interviewing candidates has children of their own they will understand.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

Welcome, I am new also - but in answer to your post.
    The head of IT where I work is mid 50's and he was employed 6 years ago when the company established.
    There are always going to be people equally or more qualified saturating the market but it's down to the right person for the job at the end I guess.

Certifications: HNC Computing
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

At 47 I have to say I've not found age to be a factor whilst job-hunting either.

Hays IT in Bournemouth have been particularly helpful and have commneted that, in my case, there just aren't general IT Manager type jobs around - most employers are looking to fill niche roles with niche skills.

You say you're in a remote area but I know of IT support companies that operate from some very rural locations and remote access software enables them to deal with clients anywhere.

Can I suggest you Google for IT Support in your area and then approach some of the companies direct - might provide something.

Alos, get on LinkedIn if you're not already (www.linkedin.com) and check out some of your old IT contacts, adding them to your LinkedIn network - you never know what might turn up. Don't forget either that there's a certforums gorup on linkedIn too.

HTH

Good luck from one old man to another ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exactly this. It's the same in the US - companies don't care how old you are; they care whether you are the best candidate for the job. I couldn't care less how old you are, what gender you are, or what color your skin is... if you can do the job, I want you on my team.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to the forums from one mackem to another. :biggrin

I think that Zeb said it all in his post so won't bother repeating.

8)

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), age is just a number and more over you're no longer required to have this listed on your CV.

Well the only hindrance to anyone human is that person him or herself:) Cheerio and keep hustling.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell