ON-Call allowance

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dales, Aug 15, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

We have a new building that is nearing completion www.cornerstone-arts.org which has been a fairly interesting experience to be involved with. Now as they intend to take bookings onsite out of our normal office hours and at weekends, it would appear we are going on call. I dont mind in the slightest as its normally simple little things that they ring about.

But my question is if any of you are on call what sort of percentage do you get and also what is your hourly rate for call outs. As this is coming from a different budget I'm quite keen to squeeze it for all its worth :biggrin

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Lol sounds like a plan.

I can't speak from personal experience but it may be worth asking your fellow colleagues if they have been given any information regarding it.

:)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I'm actually setting up some procedures for my company - I had to fight (they expected us just to be on call for free!) but eventually what I negotiated was:

For the hours on call we get 25% of our standard rate. (i.e on call 17:00 to 00:00 Monday to Friday is 40 hours on call, for that we get 10 hours salary just for being on call)

In addition to this if called during this time we get 150% of the hourly rate on weekdays and 200% of the hourly rate at weekends (the first call counts as 1 hour minimum regardless of time taken to fix, after that we tally up)

not sure how that compares to others, and I guess it depends on the volume of calls. For us it's fairly low, but as I had to explain to my management you can't expect people to commit to answering calls/having access to a PC and restricting their social life without some level of reward.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes thats sounds about what I was thinking, and possibly as it may require remotely logging into work from home perhaps a laptop would be in order too!? shhh dont tell them I've got 3 laptops and 2 pc's at home already :twisted:

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  5. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Definitely a laptop, and if you can swing it then try to get them to pay (at least partly) for your Internet connection

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

good plan, thanks for the input!