Older subjects still required?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by spoovy, Mar 25, 2011.

1. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

Looking through the published exam objectives/skills tested list, there are lots of references to things that are kind of obsolete (ie dial-up vpns, WINS etc).

Are these likely to still be in the exam, or is it likely that MS have phased them out in favour of more recent technologies?

Cheers

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: CCNA
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If they're in the current objectives then they could be in the exam.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Just because it's old or obsolete don't mean you won’t come across it. If it still works for companies they may still be using it. As Soundian said if they list it in the exam objectives or skills required then you’re more than likely to get tested on it.

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I sat both exams in the last fortnight. I won't violate the Microsoft NDA but: Yes.

5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I was at work earlier so couldn't add (because one of those pesky customers wanted assistance halfway through my post):
    We still use dial-up VPN. Only as back-up but do you want to be the person sitting there not having a clue when the shizzle hits the oscillating air circulator.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

Well made points. I will continue revising said topics.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: CCNA