Old news?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Boycie, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Jumping the gun a bit (i do plan on taking the N+ soon, honest :tongue)

A local college is advertising 70-210 and 70-215 courses over 30 weeks. 3 hours a week. I assume you will go home with work to do as well.....

Are these still worth doing? I will have to purchase Windows 2K and what about the upgrade to 2003? Will these exams only allow MCSA/E on 2K?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm doing something similar as part of my degree course.

You basically follow the Microsoft Official Academic Course (MOAC) and work your way through.

The price for the book that is used is about £30 and comes with a 180 eval version of the software.

One thing that you should know though is that the courses will teach you to the material, but do not prepare you enough to sit the exams. Extra study would be needed for that, but you can get discount vouchers from them if they are a Microsoft Academy.

The exams that your college is offering are old though, see if they offer the 2003 courses. I know my Uni (Sunderland) are going to start offering modules in things like Exchange and SQL over 15 weeks for a fee of around £225 + Exam fee if you want to take it.

8)

EDIT: Yeah Boyce you have to work in your own time. The way mine works is you read the chapter before the session and then go to class and review the chapter and discuss. This is followed by a couple of hours of Labs.

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Si,

This course is £500 plus exam fees!

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Is that for both courses? or just for one of them? :blink

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I assume both Si, because the course is titled "MCP" and then lists both MS numbers

6. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

if I was spending the best part of 6 months on a MS course, I'd rather do 2003, but then again, 2000 is still relevant... just has a more limited shelf life...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just to add my 2€, I still intend to complete my MCSA (at least) in w2k, then do the upgrade to 2k3. But then, I stress that is theory ...(cue Nugg giving me a b0ll0cking !!! :tongue )

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I will instead if thats ok Gav: C'MON, PULL YER FINGER OUT!!!

You can't let all that money go towards a Training Company's profit Gav (he knows what I mean)...

Go for it mate...i'm just about pulling mine out at the moment!!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I'd better elaborate on that, I'm studying 70-219 & 70-224 at the same time -I hope to be MCSE by Jan (but not saying which part of that month)!!!

After that on with the upgrade...got loads of training stuff for it too :D

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

LOL !! Thanks d_d - appreciate the support. I will try and make that my resolution (which I never make anyway). Good luck to your good self, m8.

And with that, I'll desist from hijacking this thread further.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You should get an eval copy of W2K Pro and Windows 2000 Advanced server with the course material.

They are Windows 2000 exams, so will count toward a Windows 2000 MCP/MCSA/MCSE

There are two upgrade exams (tough ones) for an MCSE on Windows 2000 to upgrade to Server 2003. When I paid for my MCSE course I was categorically told that there would not be any upgrade exams. They lied.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Oh, thanks Pete. It is worth thinking about then :thumbleft