Old king cole

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Aug 17, 2005.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK everryone , pick your braind time again. Basically i cant afford the money the likes of computeach or other firms charge for their courses, now i have an idea that i can run past people and the feedback will be as usual greatly appreciated.

Basically if i got on the dole and dragged it out , how long would it take before they say to me that they would put me back in college, so that i could study computers as i have a good idea what want to do, but im struggling with how to go about doing it, in theory i could do a course from computeach but doing a full days work and plus overtime then coming home and doing the computer stuff will leave me somewhat drained.

Does anyone have any ideas how the dole operate these days, and would they offer me a place in college just to get me off their dole list????? :rolleyes:

EDIT (J): Moved to appropriate Forum.

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I guess I'll have to translate this into terms I understand. You are asking how long you could stay on public benefits before the government would be willing to pay for your retraining in computers?

I wish! I had to work full-time and go to school to get my degree. I know a couple of guys who were injured on the job (one was a roofer) and couldn't return to their original careers. They were paid...at least partially to retrain in computers. Couldn't have been alot because I remember them taking at least part-time jobs while they were in school to make ends meet.

Is this an ethical sort of thing? I mean it's one thing to accept public assistance if you are unable to work or unable to find work, but another thing entirely if you can work and can be employed (you wouldn't believe some of the jobs I had to do while I was in school).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this all. Clarification anyone?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Um...

I guess you could try a career development loan.
    It would depend on your credit rating, but you might get something to put towards retraining.
    However, from the sound of it you're too busy to study.

Trip's right. You may need to clarify exactly what it is that you're looking for.
    And if that happens to be a way to cheat the benefit system I really wouldn't stick it on a public forum...

If you can be a bit more specific, we'd be happy to help.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

are you saying you have a job?
    and want to quit it and go on the dole to fund an IT course?
    do you not consider that i little out of ****ing order?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you really want to work in IT then you have to realise that it is not just a nine to five job. Once you have done some training and gained qualifications you then need to keep your skills up to date. I'm sure that as most people here will tell you that when we finish work for the day we end up going home and having to develop our skill sets further in home labs, or by further reading.

If it's a career you want where you simply get qualified and thats it then IT is probably not the field you want to be in.

If on the other hand you really want to work in IT then have you conisdered just buying the books and reading them on your own with the use of home labs? Doing your study this way will be a lot cheaper than going through a college or a training provider, and you may find that you will retain more of the information as you can study it at your own pace when you've time.

8)

6. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Umm,

ilost my job as a Photocopier/Pc installer 4 years ago due to an industrial accident. I have been on benefits all that time, and now i have 6 bolts in my spine. I wish they would pay for training, done my A+ myself during that time, and also got my voluntary position at Computers for the Disabled as PC Tech. Sorry, but you have to help yourself, one day maybe i'll get a break, actually i know i will, coz i keep trying. Get a loan, and get going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The straight-talking Phoenix does not mince his words.
    He covers them in little stars, but that's not striclty mincing them.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

*grumbles*
    it wasn't me that covered them up!
    something about children viewing the site now that 9 year olds can pass MCSDs
    :0)

9. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I asked my mother to lend me the money for my CCNA I'm paying her back in installments. I've taken 2 weeks annual leave to study for it as well as the time I put in after work and on the weekends. CCNA training is my holiday this year.

When I first got into IT I was signing on, I asked for a course in computing and they sent me on one that was basically how to use word excel, access powerpoint etc. They then sent me on work experience that happened to be in the support department of a bank, I worked my socks off on that work placement and they gave me a job :biggrin

I don't see the job centre putting people through anything other than entry level courses to get you into work.

Get a loan to pay for it or buy the books and do it yourself, don't sponge off us tax payers in the hope that you'll eventually get some free IT training after long enough. It won't be the government you'll be cheating it'll be us :x

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I trust you know better than to try and even post what was starred out, Ryan :wink:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

actually, i was under the mislead impression we didnt have an obscenity filter :)

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Nah - but we replaced it with the Pheo-filter, set to max :biggrin

13. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Yea ... go on go on thr dole ...

**** the country over, go on do it, there areplenty like you that already do, what is one more? eh? nothing?

Well go on, think about it, do you really want to lower yourself to that level? You have ambition, you seem to know what you want in life. So go for it, do yu have any IT experiance? Could you temp? get out there and get some experiance? You could take a part time job? buy books to study?

Just dont lower yourself to the scum - there areso many options.

PM me

14. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

hey come on cut ZXSpectrum some slack, he is after all from Liverpool....lol

I like to go to Liverpool once a year to visit my hub caps... :biggrin

ey ey cam down, cam down....only joking like

Certifications: Cisco IT essentials I
    WIP: CCNA, N+
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Pheo-filter? sounds like censorship to me, you no how touchy I am about that now dont you
    and I DOOOO have the Pheo Patented Shogun of doom at my disposable ready to be opened up on unsuspecting spammers... having had a spammer around recently, your hard shell will make good target practice though :D

PS: you tell em sarah :)

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hey Guys, let's give this Thread a break before it descends into a pointless flame session - I think the point has been eloquently made several times above, and a clear pattern of opinion is there for all to see.

A question was asked, and responses were given. That is fair enough, but it is no reason to get overly personal. Let's not let the good name of our side down here.

Thanks.

EDIT: Ryan, I'll worry about your super Shogun at another time :)

17. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I had to reply to phoenix as in respect of me being out of f*&^ing order. The point im trying to make here is that yes i want to work and have done so since i left school from the age of 16, i am now 29 and have paid tax like everyone else. I know its wrong in some sort of way but i cant really see any other way to do it , unless im from a different race or asylum seeker or quite irresponsably decide to have millions of kids to which i could not afford to support and have to claim benefits anyway then i dont know whato do ???

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No one can make the decision for you, zxspectrum and you are free to choose whatever course you see fit. If the responses seemed a little raw sometimes, that's what occasionally happens when you ask for opinions (I've been on the same side of the street that you are on more than once when I asked for opinions...not always fun when people are "brutally honest").

Sounds like your options are to "go on the dole" as you put it, take out a loan, or work an IT or non-IT job to pay the bills and study and try to get experience on the side. I chose the third option but had the advantage of having a working spouse to take up the slack (though neither one of us was making much money at the time) and my "slave job" enabled me (most of the time) to work on hours that let me go to school afternoons (though going to work at 3 or 4 a.m. 6 days a week wasn't exactly my idea of a fun time).

Sarah has a background in training and she did make you an offer to PM her. Maybe it would be good for you to see what she has in mind. Couldn't hurt and there may be more options out there for you than either one of us can imagine right now.

Whatever you decide, good luck. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  19. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi ZX, i understand youre point. I know what its like better than most. Even on the dole, when you ask them they dont know what you mean or cant be bothered. Local training companies affiliated to the goverment are better as there not entirely profit motivated, like certain ones that get mentioned here often. Maybe buy some books, 2nd hand pcs and teach yourself. Offer your services for nothing, its the best way to learn!!

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  20. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

Apologies for my jibe moments ago...couldn't resist

God knows how many dooorset jokes i've endured anyway i digress

I know i can be fustrating to be stuck in that below average wage cycle, not enough money to retrain, cant get a better job with retraining.....i know been there done it

but the truth of the matter is there are plenty of options open to you.

I work in electronics relatively low paid just under £7.50 an hour, i do about 6-7 hous overtime there a week and also have a second job as delivery driver 3 nights a week. (on average 15 hours a week, dont knock it pays suprisingly well) and on top of this i'm just about to start an Open Uni CCNA course....

Ok sad life i lead i hear you cry and yes i dont have a great social life, it consist of the odd round of golf and quiz night once a week...but its a sacrifice i'm willing to do for a couple of years until i got my CCNA and MCSE...

You got plenty of options, work bloody hard for 6 - 12 months save some money get trained.....

Certifications: Cisco IT essentials I
    WIP: CCNA, N+