Old Dog... New Tricks?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Baldbloke, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Baldbloke

Baldbloke Bit Poster

Hi all

Been in IT for nine years now after a late career change. At 43, I dare say some of the younger guys/gals in the profession (yes, we ARE professionals!) will probably be running rings round me in a few years time, but will youth ever precede experience? LOL, the jury's out on that one :biggrin !

Anyway, hope to chat with some of the other newbies in the forum soon and maybe pass on some useful stuff to anyone who's interested in listening... if not, consider me :banned :LOL

CYA

BB

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+, HP APS (Proliant),
    WIP: MCSA/E, Convergence+
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello and Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good evening and welcome to CF!

There will never be a substitute for experience.

:biggrin

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF young one 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

welcome to CF buddy.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome to CF. :)

Love your Avatar :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Baldbloke,

I see your Av and think "dont try to teach your Gran how to suck eggs"

Experience is king, but so is learning new technology. Long live both kings :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Justin Credible

Justin Credible New Member

I've just decided to go for a career change and about to enroll onto one of the Advent training courses (the MCSE) with no backgroung in IT. From what I've read on this site, most people have been advising to do something like A+ & MCDST to ease into the MCSE. However, the course I've chosen covers CompTIA A+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA & finally MCSE. Now I'm reading all thses out and am not sure what most of them stand for and what exactly they cover. I've had to get a Career Development Loan to cover the course fees (nearly 5k), so am hoping the gamble will pay off so that when I'm "certified" I'll be in a position to afford the repayments. The course is spread over 2 years with the promise of a placement after 6mths when I've passed my CompTIA A+ to use as a stepping stone to another position when I finish.
    Now at 27 I was slightly worried about the fact that I may have left it too late - compared to the IT geeks I went to school with who have been around IT for the last 10-15yrs, but I suppose the longer I leave it, the harder it will be to go for at a later date.
    I've only recently joined this forum so am basically reading people's opinions as much as possible to be fully confident that I'm making the right move. It's going to be a lot of hard study (which I've already been through with an unrelated degree) so am prepared, just hope I can keep myself motivated if it starts to overwhelm me!?:eek:

Certifications: NONE
    WIP: MCSE