OK, passed exam recently, but what does ......

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by gbhpboy, Dec 8, 2006.

1. gbhpboy

gbhpboy Bit Poster

A real Exchange Administrator do ............

I work for a big IT company, no guesses which one, and have a desire to move into Exchange Admin work.

But my question to folks on this Forum, who actually do the job of Exchange Admin in a real live environment is .....

On a day to day basis, what sort of tasks to you do ....
    sure I could have a guess, but if anyone could tell me that would be great, so I can get myself clued up on these b4 I start going for interviews for Exchange Admin jobs.

Many thanks, as always
    Si.

Certifications: MCSA2003(Messaging)
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I guess that it would really depend on the size of the company that you worked for what you would be expected to do, but I know of very few places that want an Exchange admin alone. Most places that I know of want someone who can look after the network side of things too.

But at the end of the day what do I know, I havent even seen exchange since exchange 2000. 8)

3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

We've got an Exchange admin where I work - supporting close to 3000 users. His job is an absolute bloody nightmare, TBH, largely because there just isn't the skills base on the helpdesk to do the majority of the mundane stuff that would ordinarily be done by someone else. I'm too busy with security to help out and, since we comprise the entire 'network' team, he ends up doing a LOT of other shite.

For instance, the poor sod has been tasked with redoing our migration from NT to AD because it was so badly screwed up last time out. He's expected to do this whilst he attempts to reconfigure our Exchange architecture into a 'real' one (as opposed to the 'book' one that the stupid cow in the job prior to him left us with) - which includes attempting to reconfigure our IS architecture from the current 700Gb single store (yes, you read that right) into something slightly more manageable - with no downtime...

Like Si said, an Exchange admin's job really depends on the size of the organisation. If I was hiring an Exchange Admin I'd expect you to be responsible for routing, redundancy, IS maintenance, user support for Outlook and, possibly (if we didn't already hyave a Security Admin - me!) anti-spam and AV. If it was running in mixed mode you'd need to understand the perils & pitfalls of that (spoken from painful personal experience) and how to migrate to native.

If it was a smaller place, you'd need a lot of AD skills as well, and a healthy understanding of server, desktop & networking skills as you'd probably end up being pulled in to help on that side of things on a regular basis.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

700GB store? nightmare! :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. gbhpboy

gbhpboy Bit Poster

thanks Si and zebulebu

after I get out of the feeling of wanting another career apart from IT, it was good to get your thoughts.

A small IT shop must be quite stressful to work in, I've always worked in big outfits, few bigger then my current employer, Hewlett Packard, I suspect.

I'm called in to do lots of different things at the moment, so having to do many things is not new, but it was good to get you thoughts, zeb, thanks.

Si (mark2)

Certifications: MCSA2003(Messaging)