Oh Deep Joy

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by wizard, May 15, 2006.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

My car has failed its MOT, so for a few weeks I'm at the mercy of the public transport system, woe is me :(

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Move to Oz, no such thing as an MOT here, well not in this state :biggrin

You only need to get your car safety checked when you sell it. So, anyone can run banger into the ground.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

We at GB like to get taxed for everything, if we cant see where the tax is, then its a steath tax, cuz we are still getting taxed, i think the only thing we are not taxed on is plain chocolate.

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I don't think it's a case of liking to be taxed, we have no real choice, doesn't matter who we elect we'll be taxed to the hilt.

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Boyces idea of a banger:

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

That's no banger that's pretty :)

7. Mr.Cheeks

thats in excellent condition!

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

can you not bung it on the credit card? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Nope don't have a big enough credit limit.

10. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

jeez!! what have you done to it? :blink

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It means that my card has a low credit limit than the norm and I've almost maxed it out :)

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

try and get your credit limit increased, if you dont ask you dont get :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Here in the wilds of Idaho, only Ada County (where I live) requires a smog check. Emission testing is done in a variety of public parking lots from a van (I know it sounds shady but that's how it's done here). When you get the notice in the mail that your smog check is due, you take the card and locate one of these vans for the test.

The test your rig and if it's good, you pay them and they give you a print out of the report. They forward the results to the state and end of story.

If you fail, you are required to get a tune up within so many days and then retest (you have to pay for the second test but if you fail, the cost is slightly less than if you'd passed).

If you fail the second test after the tune up, you show the receipt for the tune up to the tester. Basically, they tell the state that you've done all that you can to bring your vehicle up to snuff but nothing's doing. That's it. You go on your merry way.

Of course, you still have to get it checked at regular intervals. If you want to avoid this pain, just get your car registered in any other county because they don't have this requirement at all. All you need to do is have a friend or relative in the other county that's willing to say you live there. :biggrin
    Gosh...I keep getting these notices in the mail saying that I'm qualified to get a credit card from these blokes with outrageously high limits. Heck...I never even approach the limits on the few cards I have now. :blink

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Does anyone else see the pointlessness of Trip's post? (or pointlessnss of the story I should say, not the act of Trip writing a post - sorry Trip [​IMG] ). If your car fails once, you pay to get it fixed and for a second test, if it fails again, nothing happens [​IMG] ! Why bother at all? Sounds to me like it's just a way of making you waste your time and money.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that the point is you show them the receipt to say that you have had the work done, and they then go and kick ass with the person who apparently fixed your car! Leaving the blame firmly on them, and not on the owner. 8)

16. Mr.Cheeks

Thats why if you have a dodgy MOT done, you shouldn't sell your car within 3 months... the reason for this is "they" say, after 3 months of having your MOT done, it is reasonable to start seeing wears and tears....

17. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, but you're still driving around in a car that's pumping out more crap than it should be.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270