Offered a new Job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by happystew, Mar 7, 2012.

1. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

Hello,

I am currently working within my local council as a Service Desk OP for about 15k a year. I have been in the job just shy of 3 years and it's ok, i've learnt a lot, but there is no option in the foreseeable future of moving up to a new post of desktop engineer etc.

So, I've been offered a new job with a charity in Edinburgh starting at 17k, is an IT Assistant job which would be similar to my role at the council. My fear is that there ars less users, only 150 compared to 9000 at the council, i fear that there may be less chance to gain experience and learn new things.

I know the role will be different, but i fear my skills and CV may diminish if i'm not learning new things.

I know it's amazing that i've been offered a new job but i feel that i might be making a step back for some reason.

Any advice?

Certifications: Bsc Hons Computer & Network Support
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Congrats on the job HappyStew, I say "Go for it!".

You're always going to fear the unknown but the size of a company really won't restrict your knowledge and skills. Perhaps the fear of the unknown is putting doubts in your head rather than the actual job? :)

Hell, working with a council might restrict you more - they're so resistant to change!

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

Thanks Boffy

I have e-mailed them asking a few questions about career progression etc, so hopefully it's a positive reply.

4. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

You might find in a smaller organization that you get involved in a wider variety of tasks - I know a few guys who experience exactly that and they love the variety.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do!

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Its not a big pay rise, so is it worth the move? I would imagine at your age you probably wouldnt stay there long? Then you risk becoming job hopper.

With three years at your local council I would imagine you could go for a higher position/ better paid? Surely you must touch on a hell of alot in your council job? Degree is good. Do you have any certs?

It all depends on the makeup of the IT team at the charity. It could mean now your responsibility levels are going to go up leading to more skills for u :) Got to take a risk though to advance.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  6. Ping

Ping New Member

I've found that with smaller companies the work is a lot more varied and you will gain some broad experiences but each on a small scale.

You mentioned career progression, do you know what you are aiming for. The reason why I ask is that it's always good to plan where you want to go rather than let an organisation lead you, and ten years down the line you think how did I get here.

I don't think the pay increase is a lot but then that may not be your priority. Would the job give you more time, time you could spending investing in yourself training. Would the new job fund some of your training.

These are just a couple of point's I wished I had stopped and asked my self when I first started.

But good luck in your choice.

P

Certifications: CCNA, CCDA, CCNA Voice
    WIP: CCIP
  7. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

The council is cutting back on jobs etc, there is a re-structure happening and it appears the Service Desk is not a big part of it.

I handed in my notice last Friday, decided to take the job after speaking with them, spoke about helping me pass my certs and about career progression. All very favourable.

However, there is talk that i might get offered a job with the desktop department... office rumours im guessing but we will see what happens in the next few days.

Nothing like a resignation letter to get things going i suppose.

8. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

heh, as long as you've got the other job to fall back on.

Good luck and keep us informed 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010