Offer of Paid Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by silver, Aug 27, 2012.

1. silver

silver New Member

Work have offered to provide me with training of my choice.

I work as a Technician and have been in IT for many years but no qualifications (kind of)

I live in South Cumbria and cannot find any class based studying.

To become a network techy or manager what is the best course?

I thought of MCSA.

Any thoughts... Thanks in advance

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It really depends on what you want to do, what you work with and how much funding you actually got on offer.

I'd say if you can (as you have stated that you have no qualifications), try to see if you can get on an apprenticeship program - preferable a level 3 one.

This would get you an NVQ 3 (certificate or diploma, depending on the number of modules you do), key skills and the technical cert which can be a Microsoft, Comptia or Cisco cert(s) - this would be your choice depending on the technology that you work with. With that you can then look at the ICTTech mark from the IET and ECUK.

If you wanted to progress to management, maybe some sort of project management cert or qualification (eg Prince2, a project management module in the NVQ or Project+), ITIL or FITS (as FITS is based on ITIL) or even a management qualification (eg NVQ in Team Leading, as you're not in management yet).

To be honest, there is a wide variety or options out there. You may even want to start your Higher education studies with the aim for the HNC/CertHE/HND/DipHE/Degree with the OU starting with the TM128 - Microsoft Server Technologies.

We can give all the advice under the sun, but you have a have a plan of where you want to go/do and evaluate where you are now :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

HNC or HND would be a great shout. (and you are just about in time to enrol the local college if you do it quickly.)

But everything Ken said above is really spot on. I probably wouldn't elect to do the ITIL, as that is a cheap option. If work are paying for it, do the most expensive! You never know when you might have to pay for one yourself in the future :D

Cunningfox likes this.
  4. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Absolutely!

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Rather than opt for the most expensive option I would ask your company what they expect from you, what kind of qualifications do they expect you to go for and how much of a budget they are allocating for it.

The last thing you want to do is go to them with a training requirement that's astronomical because that was the most expensive course you could find, instead find a course that meets both of your requirements and offer that up instead.

If I were in your shoes I would probably start looking at vendor certifications to back up your current experience and perhaps look at some project management training as well (companies love it if you have some PM training and understand the whole project life cycle and budget side of things).

As far as ITIL is concerned... that's a difficult one, having ITIL can be beneficial if you work in a company that uses it in some form or another but can be quite useless if you're not (a lot of companies are taking up the ITIL Framework in various ways) but the thing with ITIL training is it's BORING, I mean paint dryingly boring and it's also pretty much based on common sense as well, but oh so BORING.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    RichyV likes this.
  6. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

As with all 'what training shall I do' queries it all boils down to what is the purpose, what do you want to do/where do you want to be in future, and what suits your current business?

This should drive your training choices and/or requirements.

I cannot echo this enough :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012