Off sick and need direction A+ Network+

Discussion in 'A+' started by gooner78, Apr 7, 2008.

1. gooner78

gooner78 New Member

Hi guys, first post

Im looking to do a course, I work for a company where i work on a call desk doing support for a mortgage software which isnt very good. Well I have had enough and Im currently off sick after having an op in December.

Well, I do have keen interest in web design but was told there isnt much going on out there at the moment.

So Ive decided to stay in support.

Was recomended to take an A+ abd Network + crash course in a week. Im fairly confident that i could pass as I have 8 years exp in the field working on hardware at an airport for 4 years and software for 4 years.

The crash course is over a week and they are asking for 3500k for the course pluse exams. The hope in doing this will see me do a ccna in a few more months time.

Can anyone give me some advice, im 29years old currently earning 25k a year and i feel i need to progress. All i have for a qualification is a HND which i did about 9 years ago.

Look forward to hearing your feedback!

Certifications: HDN Business and Infomation Technology
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

just a suggestion, and you are going to get it anyway here but...

If you already feel you have the experience, spend 80 quid buying the A+ and N+ books, study them for a week each (you have the time anyway), then try and sit the exams. If it works, you've saved yourself a bucketload of cash. If it doesnt, then you can look at spending gallons of money on a bought course.

General consensus here is for selfstudy. it doesnt really cost much to give it a shot, so I'd recommend doing it that way around. rather than paying for the course, and finding it was useless, and having to resort to another method anyway.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. AvD

AvD Nibble Poster

with that type of experience, i wouldn't do a crash course i'd order the mike meyers book and tripwires book and just self study, it took me 1 week to read the mike meyers book 1 time through, Tripwires book well i haven't done much with it yet but from what it seems like it walks you through what you would do as a tech daily. which obviously imprints the procedures into your brain :D

Edit: ya beat me too it! terrible time for a boss to walk into your office, right in the middle of a forum post!

WIP: A+, MCAD
  4. gooner78

gooner78 New Member

sounds pretty good, Id say that I have about another month left until I get back to work, you reckon thats enough time to do it myself?

5. Fergal1982

If you already have experience with what they teach you, then sure. Whats to lose in giving it a shot? Saves you a raft of cash, which is better in your pocket than elsewhere.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. gooner78

gooner78 New Member

thanks for you help guys!

7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Like the others have said above…
    They want 3.5k for knowledge you already know? Anything you need to brush up can be done with a book (or 2) and lab exercises. If newbies can do it, I’m sure you can too. 8)

…and like Fergal said, if in the end you want to go on course, the trainer will happily take your money at a later time :eek

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd keep the money in my pocket, and skim a couple of books. I might even buy an exam sim or two (from a trusted provider) to see if I'm ready. Either way, self-study is the way to go.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Fergal1982

like Boson? :biggrin

10. gooner78

gooner78 New Member

So how should I go about it?

Just need some advice on how and what ways I could do this.

I have all day and night to study so I have plenty of time for this?

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nah, cos that would be:
    [​IMG]

:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Seriously - spending all that dough is a waste of time and money. If you could pass the N+ and A+ (and you probably could after eight years' experience) why shell out a load of cash for nothing? Get a couple of study guides and you'll be laughing. If you really have the cash to spare, get some sims, some CBT videos and buy a couple of old PCs to kncok around for your A+

Oh, and supporting a shoddy football team is probably what drove you to your sickbed in the first place... :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Boson doesn't have an ExSim Max product for the A+ or Network+ yet (A+ Essentials is allllmost done). I haven't used the older ExSim products for A+ and Network+, so I can't guarantee the old stuff is of the highest quality.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. gooner78

gooner78 New Member