Off ill from work

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by derkit, Jun 4, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Unfortunately I've been feeling like the dogs for the past couple of days, definitely not my cheery self, and so decided to take the day off sick.

Sat here, after waking up just after 11am instead of the normal 6am :biggrin , I got to thinking about my job - I'm getting bored with it and have been applying for jobs elsewhere and I wondered "do we give up on work and take a sick day a lot easier when we have set our minds on moving on, than we do when we are enjoying the work?". Is it more psychological than psyiological??

Anyone had a long time off work sick and then found it a real effort to go back?

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

It's actually a known thing by good mangers
    if you take more time off sick, and come in late more often, chances are something is bothering you
    a good manager will try to find out what the issues are and resolve them
    a bad one will just yell at you plenty for being late, kind of like being at school

its a psychological thing, if you are unhappy at work you dont want to be there, you will oversleep, you will get stressed, you will feel unwilling to work with the slightest of ailments

but makes it very easy to spot unhappiness at work for a good manager (shame they are few and far between in non progressive working environments)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Hmmm - I must be different. I absolutely f'ing hate the place I work at and my boss is by far and away the worst human being I have ever met in my entire life!!!:x I often feel like just not bothering or taking a few days off sick, however, I am so desperate to get out I don't want a poor sickness record to cost me a job. Therefore, every day I bite the bullet and turn up and work to the best of my abilities, even though I wana just ram the work down someones throat :x

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I don't think everybody does it, but its a known effect of being unhappy at work :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've had this cold/felt like this since about Friday - tried pushing through Monday and Tuesday of this week, but last night had an awful nights' attempt at sleep so pulled a sicky without much thought. The fact that I wanted to be off ill on Monday and pushed on through to Wednesday may have helped my cause.

My boss is pretty cool, she's knows I want to move on - and has helped with internal jobs - but just wondered if it was endemic of being bored/not interested in work.

6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Aww, get well soon!

If your boss is being flexible then maybe it is actually just that you are ill (you are allowed to be for a legitimate reason once in a while you know!!)

...but then what Phoenix said is also true...

Goos luck with finding something else though...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

"Goos"???...Goose....gooosey goosey...

Meant "Good luck"!! (it's just not happening today - lol!) x

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I know for me, its exactly that. If i dont like the job or am having problems at work, then i find its easier to let that little cold become bigger than it is and start to consider going sick.

I had a bad night last night, only 2 hours sleep, stuck on the loo for 1 1/2hr with very bad guts (did manage to finish a book though) then when i did go back to bed the girlfriend was up coughing and spluttering, so i decided , what the hey and stayed up as it was nearly 5 by this time.
    Now all day i've still had a bad stomach, have been coughing, yet i still went in. Not because i enjoy the job, but because we were having a training session today so wanted to make sure i attended it. The thought of not going in had croassed my mind and i really did want to stay home, but unusually i still went in.
    However, during the training i fell asleep twice, only to be told by others there to stay awake, and i had to take a 15min break to get some air as i was feeling rougher.
    If this had been a normal work day (no training) i probably would have stayed at home and slept, and then tomorrow probably still have stayed home even if i felt better, just because its been a boring week at work and its so tempting and easy to say "fek it i'm still ill" and make a relaxing day in bed instead of work.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  9. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hey

I just had an operation last Monday and was offered a new job on the Friday. I had been off the entire week and decided that, as I was handing my notice in, I should attend work on the Monday following. I ended up in a lot of pain for the most part of the day and on the Tuesday morning I awoke in even more pain and decided it would be best to go to A&E to make get myself checked out. Well, when I phoned work to let them know I wouldn't be in, and then later when I phoned to let them know how I got on and to say I'd be taking the remainder of my self certificated sick leave, they sounded rather unhappy and asked me if I would be back or not. They added a laugh to this to cover the anger but it was so obvious it was almost like an insult.

So what I'm saying is, even if I was not leaving I'd still have taken the time off but it feels to me they think I'm doing it BECAUSE I'm leaving. So the theory backfires here really.. :dry

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Definitely psychological. If I already don't want to go in to work because I'm unhappy, it's very easy to say, "Ya know what? Screw it, I'm not going in today." I once worked at a place where I had been promised a raise for 9 months, and it obviously wasn't coming. Other promises had been broken as well, primarily by the owner of the company, who told my boss that she wanted a detailed report of what site the techs were at for every 15 minute interval of the day... absolute babysitting! I thought, "Pfft... if she can't trust us to do a good job and to be where we ought to be, then this is probably not a good place for me." Sick time? Yup, I took it.

On the other hand, if you *really* enjoy what you do, it's far easier to go in despite feeling a little run down! Although I've had at least one cold, I have yet to take a sick day at Boson in the year I've worked there... I worked right through it. Felt like heck a couple of those days, and it was hard to concentrate... but I got through it! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Good so it isn't just me then :biggrin

Went into work today, part of me wished I hadn't because there was no work to do and it was as boring as anything, but part of me felt the obligation to go in because I wasn't as bad compared to Wednesday any more.

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I also think its psychological. I love what I do and yes I do get sick don't we all? but I still don't mind coming in and working. At times I get fed up with things and feel like doing something else but in the end I still enjoy what I do. My boss is a cool guy relaxed and knows what he's doing. Like Mike, I don't think I have ever taken a sick day in the 21 months that I worked at the company but I do know that in the past, my part time just that I did and hated, I remember taking more then one sick day because it was just not worth putting up with all kinds of bs and other peoples attitude for a poor pay, it just was not worth it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. Crito

Crito Banned

If it's psychosomatic and subconscious then fine, that's almost like really being sick anyways. But at some places I've worked people consciously fake being ill any time there's trouble, usually leaving me holding the bag. After I resolve the problem there's always a miraculous recovery. And then they stroll right back in like nothing was wrong to begin with. They avoid all blame and I get no credit. Grr... :x

Anywho, back to you: IMVHO, life is too short to be unhappy all the time. I wouldn't do anything rash though. Bosses like yours are a rarity nowadays. Most would have dumped you the minute they found out you were applying for work elsewhere.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  14. postman

postman Byte Poster

If you think you're treated badly, you should try working for Royal Mail, the most useless management I've ever encountered, if you're off sick for more 3 days then you HAVE to go in for an interview with the manager who'll then decide whether you're sick or not (irregardless of what your GP says).:x

Rant over before I start foaming at the mouth (and then going postal):twisted:

WIP: A+