Ofcom says BT must give rivals access to its pole and duct networks

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Mar 30, 2010.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Ofcom says BT must give rivals access to its pole and duct networks

BT will have to open up the telegraph poles and under-street ducts that make up much of its network structure to competitors under plans published by telecoms regulator Ofcom.

The former state monopoly will have to provide detailed information on the network to competitors by the end of the year under Ofcom's plans, which are designed to increase competition in the telecoms market.

Ofcom said that there is unused network capacity that BT should make available to other companies.

"From June 2008 and during 2009, Ofcom conducted surveys of BT's duct network, which indicated that there may be a significant amount of unoccupied space in the network, with up to 40% or 50% having room for new cables in some locations," said an Ofcom statement. "The second survey published today, of ducts closer to homes and businesses, shows a similar amount of unoccupied space, as well as potential capacity for additional wires to be added to BT's telegraph poles. However, availability is highly variable across the country and the practicalities of using BT's ducts and poles have yet to be worked through."

Full story : HERE

Thanks for the link to Josiahb :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      I fully agree, with the implending £0.50p "broadband tax" looming (which lets face it is going to benefit BT) and the fact the BT is now a private company, I don't see why other companies can't use the existing infrastucture that's there already.

If they don't, then why should I pay a "tax" on something that I get from another company.

-Ken