OEM questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 2, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Can anyone tell me how comapnies can sell OEM software such as XP pro without selling it with some hardware?

Also why is there sometimes such a drastic jump in price?

I have seen some OEM copies for as little as £60 and some more than £150 (both with sp/2).

Also can an upgrade be done from OEM home to OEM pro? or is a full install safer?

The copy I won with the graphics card is 64 bit and they wouldn't change it to the 32bit version and from what I was told 64bit is not very stable.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

you are bound by the OEM licence when you open the package contents, so companies are well within there right to sell the software(my main software supplier dosen't sell hardware but sells OEM software)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Generally if you have a business account with some companies you can buy OEM software without having to buy hardware at the same time.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I think most of the cost for Retail vs OEM goes to the support of the product (correct me if I'm wrong) but you can't get support from Microsoft for OEM products you must contact the original vender i.e your system builder

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

lest we forget that with OEM products you dont get a nice pretty box. i wager the packaging costs as much to produce as the CD does :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Legally, they cannot... when an end user purchases it, they HAVE to buy it with hardware, to which the OEM license is bound. Read the OEM licensing terms... they're readily available on the Internet.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

so Blue Solutions must trade illegally everyday because they dont sell hardware

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

there are lots of places that sell OEM software without hardware, surley they all can't be trading illegally :blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. BosonMichael

Read the OEM licensing terms for yourself, mate... they're not MY rules.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Michael is right. This quote is from the oem faq page from microsoft. It is in Dutch, but I'll translate.

[translation]
    May I sell OEM-software separately?

No. You may only sell OEM-products in combination with a fully assembled system. It is not allowed to sell OEM-products separately. If you advertice with OEM-products to customers, it is important that you explicitely state that the software is only to be sold in combination with a pc or server. Also these products give no right on Microsoft support.
    [/translation]

That's clear enough I think.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

@Tinus i dont think we are all clear your statement applies to selling it to the general public

companies can sell OEM products to system builders or vendors without hardware.

There's a EULA sticker on all the OEM products i get that say's something along the lines of "By breaking the seal you agree to the licence and terms yada yada...."

now if we are talking about joe public wanting to get some cheap software then it must be sold with a complete system(not just a mouse or something else)

Blue Solutions are an authorised distributor of microsoft oem products i just can't see how you guy's can be right

12. BosonMichael

Again, they're not my rules. Read it for yourself, and judge for yourself. That's the best you can do, right?

13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Yes but your not bound to the EULA until you break the EULA sticker, not at the point of purchase

while i was on the MS System Builders website i also came accross this

14. Tinus1959

Go to oem.microsoft.com and find out for yourself. I don't make the rules, I try to obey them.

Authorized companies can make mistakes to. I once found a MS Gold partner openly advertising with TK.

15. Tinus1959

But the question was not about builders, it was if one could sell OEM products without a computer. The answer to that question is NO.

16. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

sorry i missed the bit of GBL post that said How can companies sell OEM software to the General Public. :blink

17. Tinus1959

No problem. I not angry, just a bit disappointed:biggrin