Object-oriented programming, a good learning route?

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Inspiration, May 27, 2010.

1. Inspiration

Inspiration Bit Poster

Hello!

I'd like to learn a new language. I've done a lot of things in VB Script but it has it's obvious limitations and also allows some pretty horrible coding to execute. Also messed with PHP and Perl in the distant past.

There seems to be a lot out there regarding object oriented programming, such as Java and I also fancy having a crack at making an app for the iphone, which I believe requires Objective C.

So would learning Java and then moving onto Objective C be a good route? I figure Java gives a good grounding in object oriented programming? Or should I go straight to Objective C?

I figure it's the first but I welcome others opinions. Thank you :)

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Like you, I started with VBScript in a non-programming role. Because you have VB knowledge, you will find the jump to VB.Net easier to grasp, so you may want to consider taking this route to begin with. But ultimately the choice is defined by your goal. If its games, vb.net isnt particularly suited to it. If its an IPhone app, then you are constrained by what they permit to be used.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, there's learning a language, and there's learning the principles.
    My personal feeling is that you should learn the principles first, then you can apply them to any language.
    I did an object oriented course with the OU which was great (unless you've got a fear of frogs) which then gave me the background I needed to get into .net stuff.
    There's no right or wrong way to do it, but start off small because there is hell of a lot to learn.
    ItunesU (and youtube) do a good introduction to object programming, and the OU have some free online stuff as part of openlearn.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Inspiration

Inspiration Bit Poster

Yeah I know what you mean.. getting your head around what an object really is and the methods etc and how they all link together in real world terms. :) I think I'll start with Java and make sure I really learn the language and the basics of object programming and then see what happens I've already bought a nice thick book "Head First Java" which is supposed to be very good so I'll start there. I've also discovered 39 Computer Science lectures uploaded by University of California teaching Java programming. YouTube rocks. :)

Thank you for the replies. I'll check out that OU course too.

5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

If your looking to learn Java, Stanford university have made one of their comp sci courses (Programming Methodology) available on youtube and itunes for free. Its well worth a look as it not only teachs you Java but also aims to teach you the principles behind good programming as well.

They've even got all the assignments and handouts up for download at the web address mentioned in the first lecture.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've been enjoying it, but never seem to be able to catch any of the sweets...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Inspiration

Inspiration Bit Poster

Josiahb: Thanks for the tip!! Will check out Stanford too.